Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Lafayette
Just got back from my peg tube consultation. Scheduled for 2 weeks from Monday. Everything said was as I expected from all my reading here except the doctor said he doesn't suture the stomach to the abdominal wall. The two are held together by the bumpers and shortly grow together. This was news to me. I recall Gooseberry saying there were stitches to remove. Any comment? The doc said I could spend the night in the hospital if I wanted but didn't seem to think this was necessary. Hope I don't end up like poor Neil. What a nightmare he has gone through. Alex

Mine didn't have sutures. Was a little surprised when I read about others getting them. You do have to watch that the tube doesn't slide loose on the outer bumper but if it does you just gently pull the tube back out to the mark it's supposed to be at

The stitches were most likely a couple of skin sutures to snug the stoma around the tube or possibly outside bumper to skin. If you would like more info on the whole feeding tube experience, go to my section on feeding tubes. I bet you will find some stuff your doctor never mentioned and hopefully the info will make the procedure and adjustment to the tube go easily. Feeding Tubes

DianeH, feeding tube and vent for 10 years.

Dalvin: hope my tube is as easy as yours. You seem to be able to dump anything down it and it's OK. I've read a lot about tubes but I'm sure it won't all pull together until I have to deal with my first clog, etc. What a drag. But I'm looking forward to not having to force food into me and ceasing to lose weight. Does your insurance pay for your formula? Alex

It payed for it minus any deductible or copay. The va provides it now.
They will also pay for the syringes, one per day. You should get a months supply at a time. As the rate of speed, take your time till you figure out what works best for you. Warming it slightly will help. Just not too warm, I do 20 seconds in the microwave for a cup. I spread the cans out through the day so I'm not trying to put too much in at a time.
Never put anything cool or cold through it. We all like to drink cold water or sodas or whatever but it has time to warm up before hitting your stomach. If you do that through the tube, it's still cold and will 'shock' your stomach cause nausea or worse

Clogs in the length of the tube are pretty easy to deal with. Just pinch the tube at the clog between two fingers and roll them, the clog breaks up and can be flushed on through. Try to time your meds with a feeding. Do them first then the formula followed by at least 180 ml of water

Thanks Dianne and Dalvin. I'll reread Dianne's section on peg tubes. I have clinic tomorrow so I get the guidance of my dietician re correct formula. Intend to be well prepared in two weeks. Alex

Alex, Don't sweat it! After yesterday, when my husband got #2, all is good. The interventional radiology nurse told us that the sutures that the nurse tried to remove, didn't have to be removed. They were on 3 little buttons outside the circular disk that was on the peg tube. Not sure why they were there in the first place but they had been secured with dissolving stitches. He got a button tube yesterday. They had him stay overnight the first time because of his fvc numbers and how the anesthesia can depress your breathing. Yesterday he was in and out in 3 hours because the just relaxed him and swapped things out. It will be okay.

Thanks for the pep talk. I expect it will work out fine. It's routine, isn't it. It will be nice to not have to eat if I don't want to and pills will lose their dread. Can't say I'm looking forward to it but c'est la vie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back