Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
For the last 2 weeks the tube inside the bumper has been continuously rising over a quarter inch by now. I don't understand how this can be happening. It's not the bumper itself but the tube within the bumper. It won't go down at all but continues to move up. I am afraid it will go out of my stomach. This happened once when they didn't extended the. Tube far enough,and was extremely painful. I almost died from a systemic infection.
Do I need to be worried?

Re: Peg tube

If this has happened before I am puzzled as to why you haven't called the doctor already. If the tube is not the balloon type call your doctor and let him figure it out.

If you have a tube with a balloon inside your stomach holding it in, it is likely that the balloon is deteriorating and leaking so it is deflating. They do this naturally over time. Replacement is an quick and painless procedure. Call your doctor to get it replaced. In the meantime, push the tube back in and tape the bumper to you skin to keep the tube from sliding out.

It just was replaced. The bumpers are tight. They are stationary. It is the tube inside the bumpers that is moving up. It won't go down, just up

Any yes it is a balloon type. The balloon can't be deteriorating bee sues it was just replaced. Also each time the tube is replaced I get more granulation tissue. It is burned off by silver nitrate, and grows right back even bigger

Now that is weird! It sounds as though the bumper is too large for the size of the tube, but I thought they only came as a set. Can you slide the tube back down through the bumper by pinching up the sides of the bumper and pushing the tube down?

Have you tried putting a bit of over the counter cortisone cream on and granulation tissue? It works great for me and doesn't hurt at all.

I have read that silver nitrate is going out of fashion except as a last resort -- often creates more irritation. So I would definitely try Diane's methods before doing any more burning.

Best,
Laurie

I have found that used properly, silver nitrate is brilliant in a variety of applications.

It causes irritation if not applied very carefully only to the proud flesh, of course it irritates healthy skin/tissues.

Neil have you had the stoma checked yet?

I can’t offer any insight into your bumper problems (I’ve a MicKey button) but I wonder is it the correct size. Was it long since you were last measured?

Re overgranulation: Sorry the silver nitrate isn’t working, I found it good and always protected my skin with Vaseline. If you’re trying a steroid cream, top it with a foam dressing as the pressure on the tissue can help quicken the healing.

Hope you get it sorted asap – it sounds miserable.

Silver nitrate sure fixed moms granulation tissue.

Neil how is your peg issue going?
Did you get it resolved and find out what was happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back