Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Miami
Hello All - im having some issues with my mom and her peg tube, she got it done on 9-4...but now her blood work is coming with high levels of pancreatitis, she has never had this before, has anyone expirenced anything like this.....?
Thanks,
Amy:mad:

My husband had peg tube placed 1/2012 and was put on Rilutek. In June his bilirubin, liver enzymes were elevated. Stopped Rilutek and bilirubin began coming down, but liver enzymes are staying elevated. A blood test was also done re: pancreas and that was also elevated. Was at clinic last Friday and blood tests still showed elevation. They called and are sending him for gastro consult.
Don't know what this means and probably won't answer your questions. Maybe someone else will have a better answer.
Hope things improve with your mom.

Hello - thank you for your response, my mom was diagnosed with bulbar als in september 2011, and just now she got her peg in (sept 4th), she still says (sign language) she feels hungry and i have to sometimes take away food from her hands, grapes and chips, its such torture to see her going through this.....its all unreal to me, she is everything to me, she is my rock ! is your husband walking on his own ? i have noticed she has been getting very weak and needs help getting up when she sits, also i have to help her bath (scared sh is going to fall in tub)....
wishing you hope and peace in both you and your husbands life !

Amy, I can't answer about the possible pancreatitis, but I'm wondering if you have equipment on hand to safely handle your mom's changing abilities?
When I first had difficulty standing up, we added "bed risers" to the feet of our sofa. The increased height allowed me to manage it for many months longer. We also added a portable bedside commode placed over the toilet. The legs are adjustable which gave me the extra height I needed in order to stand up independently. Of course the arms on the commode were invaluable. If you have room in your bathroom you might be able to use a transfer bench for bathing. This would allow your mom to sit down on the part of the bench that is outside the tub, slide over and then have assistance with getting her legs over the edge of the tub. This would work if she has good trunk control only. A hand held shower from one of the big box stores is wonderful. I managed for a very long time with a plastic vented garden chair in our walk in shower. It might be time to look into getting a transfer board and gait belt on hand. We got one and learned to use it before it was actually needed and this made the recent transition to using it every day very comfortable for my CALS and I.

Medicare will pay for a bedside commode but probably not the transfer shower bench. They will also pay a portion of the expense of one of those lift recliners. You'll just need to present a script from her doc to your local DME provider. Just be sure to have your mom try out a few chairs to find one that's a comfortable fit. Also before you purchase any equipment, check with your local MDA and or ALSA to see if they have needed items in their loaner closet.

It's always difficult for all us when we lose another ability. The right equipment on hand can really make a difference in the transition.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back