PEG stuff just keeps happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harold, what did you do to make leakage go away. My Dad lately had some leakage around the PEG tube which made all the gaze and part of shirt wet. We try to change the gaze more. But the leakage keeps coming out around the tube. Thanks for any advice.

Hi there dbw. Sorry to hear your dad is having leakage from peg site. I wonder if there is a lot? And if there is any pain there?

My mum had a lot of problems with infection and leakage in the past. With her leakage went to a whole new level when anything going into the tube started coming out again round the site. A fair bit of pain went with that. To cut a long story short the tube had corroded in some way and though feed was still getting to the stomach, some of it was going elsewhere. One change of tube & small bit of surgery later the whole thing works better now than it did on day one.

I gather this is not a common occurrence but it taught me that tubes don't last forever.

Thanks for sharing your Mom's experience, Jellycat. The amount of leakage is hard to tell, but it at least wetted the gaze and part of shirt. The doctor just came over and changed the tube several days ago before the leak, because the old tube's balloon was deflated. Can we take some care or step to stop the leakage around the site? Thanks.

You would probably know if it was a tube leak because anything you syringe in would be instantly appearing & pooling around the peg site. It would be the colour of whatever you were putting down the peg & not pretty.

When there was a lesser amount of leakage we were advised to clean it 2-3 times a day with sterile water or sodium chloride. And then to make sure it was very dry. This wasn't so much to stop leakage as to try to keep away infection. We found the sodium chloride kept infection at bay better.

If your leak only started after the dr changed the tube would you consider calling him/her back? Could it be about how the tube is placed? Sorry can't be more help. Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back