Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
South Carolina
City
Rock Hill
Saturday night right before the seattle Panther game I was getting my vitamins and the tube just stopped up, we taped it down to keep it from coming out and the nurse had to come out today and put another one in, I have to find liquid vitamins, especially calcium, it seems to be the one that stopped it up both times.

Janie

What are you using as a calcium source, bones...? ;)

Janie you can get all vitamins including calcium in liquid form. It would be far preferable to putting anything gritty through your peg.

Sorry it caused this for you xx

Greg,
My son bought these horse pills that were gel caps, the stuff in them looked like glue. Tillie hope you are feeling better, it wasn't painful just agraviting.

Janie

Thanks Janie, today is a better day.

Just make sure if you use gel caps that you really mix them well with some warm water and flush really well as that gel could clog things up too.

I have to find liquid vitamins, especially calcium, it seems to be the one that stopped it up both times.

Janie

You do not need calcium. If you have your calcium level checked it will probably be high because it is getting into the blood but not being absorbed into the bones. Bones are constantly releasing calcium and absorbing it to stay strong, but this process requires physical activity and exercise to prompt it. ALS weakness and paralysis mean that the bones lose calcium but calcium in the digestive tract or blood is not absorbed by the bones. The result is a net loss of bone mass and more easily broken bones -- osteoporosis. Meanwhile your kidneys are at risk for kidney stones because they are trying to get rid of the extra calcium your bones are releasing as well as the unusable calcium you are taking. What is needed is not more calcium but a medication such as Fosamax, Forteo or others that improve calcium uptake into bones inspite of the inability to exercise along with some Vitamin D6 since that is also needed for bone maintenance.

Thanks Diane, makes since to me, calcuim gone D6 in the routine.

Janie

Janie - I was told that gel caps cannot be crushed and put in the tube. I had to find alternatives for some of my moms meds.
Trina

Not everything can just be crushed and mixed up with water either, so it's good to talk to your doctor and get everything you need provided as liquids if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back