Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, we worked through our neuro - Brian had both the trach and PEG done at the same time. We came into the hospital with his bipap and met with the surgeon in the hospital the night before the procedure. He was excellent and went over everything. In our area, hospitals will not allow home bipaps/vents usage while in there, but will provide their own equipment. It could be that it's not that the can't have breathing help while there, just that he cannot have his "home" machine, but not stated well in any event.

When Brian's initial peg/button broke this spring, it was replaced with a what I would call regular tube done under IR. We went through a huge fiasco, because GI didn't want to touch what was done by surgery. Our surgeon at the time was no longer with the hospital. It had been 7 years. After a huge fight between services and my threatening to call patient services, we finally got someone to get it done. Under IR took very little time, other than the button that had been used, had to be clipped and brought out through Endo, as it was a hard backer and not a balloon that could be removed externally. What we have now has a balloon and could changed here at home if need be.

Good luck to you Buckhorn.

Hugs,

Sue

Hoping to hear from the gastro doc tomorrow re: PEG tube placement. I called the head RN for the endoscopy surgical suite on Friday. She was A+ - asked lots of questions, she is going to call the resp. therapist this a.m., etc. She said there was no problem - that they have BiPap's of there own in the outpatient surgical suite (figures, really) and that everything would be fine. She was perhaps one of the most "with it" / confident people I have talked to in the last 2 months! Still, if I do not hear from the gastro doc in the next few days I will likely postpone the procedure until I have clarification of my questions. It's not like Dave is starving or losing weight; he still has chewing/swallowing going well for him. TY for all of your input!!

Hi all! Dave had his PEG placement surgery done last Weds. All is well - procedure went remarkably well, under light sedation. I was very impressed with the professionalism, concern and true listening of the surgeon, anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist. The surgeon had called me about 5 days before the procedure to disscuss my concerns. His attitude and responses alleviated most of my concerns. In the end, there was absolutely no problems with having Dave's Trilogy in the procedure room (I was told, "this is not a sterile procedure) and the anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist both came by the prep room to see his machine and go thru settings and ask questions. Dave had absolutely no problems with the PEG placement and no complications S/P. I was worried for several reasons - and many could have been avoided had we been scehduled for a pre-op visit. However, the fact that the surgeon called me and discussed my concerns meant the world to me! My second big fear is that Dave has had DVT's twice - one resulting in a very large pulmonary embolism. So he had to be off Warfarin for 5 days pre-op, and this was another major risk factor. I am glad we have this behind us. Thank you to all who responded to my questions! B.

I'm so very glad it went smoothly and this is behind you now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back