Diagnosis
10/2016
Country
US
State
Fl/MA
City
FL Keys/Sterling MA
Hi forum, I am scheduled for a PEG Monday, and it suddenly occurred to me that getting me out of bed, and especially getting me onto the toilet, may be a real issue for a time while healing. I am still (just barely) able to get myself between bed and wheelchair with a sliding board, but for toilet or shower chair we rely totally on my transfer belt, which fits snugly around my rib cage. No action at all from the rag doll legs. Any thoughts on whether this is going to be possible? No space for hoyer lift. Sales Rep. coming Thursday re a ceiling lift, but I think I’ve left it too late. I’m wondering if I need to reschedule for after getting a better set-up.

I wouldn't wait any longer. You may have to move the transfer belt higher and it may not be comfortable but you should be able to do it. Really the hardest part is the ab pain. The surgical area itself is small but it does interfere with the core muscles. Waiting will only make it more complicated and difficult.

The most intense pain lasts just the first few days and maybe someone can help you with transfers. After that, there may be soreness for a time but it’s not crippling.

I do suggest you start you start taking a stool softener like Colace starting Sunday night because you’ll have more trouble if you’re stopped up in addition to everything else. Make sure they send you home with something for pain because the first 1-2 nights can be rough.

Good luck, and I’m sure you’ll be glad to get this done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back