PEG just put in..what kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I had my tube put in and I was discharged, We were given paper work about the tube and parts and what needed to be done later. Maybe take another look in your discharge papers and maybe there is some papers mixed in for the tube.

There was a sheet that mentioned the buttons falling off. Said very little other than that. Bob, where did you have your put in? In Sac or SF? I think if I had a GP here I wouldn’t be so nervous. When the nurse didn’t even know I got real edgy. I will sit and go through the reams of paper in the morning. Have a good night

I had mine put in here at Enloe and I was out at the end of day. I have a good GP here in town named Dr. Paul. I don't know if she is taking new patients, but she has a Nurse Practitioner who is good also. They are in Philadelphia square at the Esplanade and Eaton Rd.

6 days ??? Our best resource for PEG issues is our dietician, she has seen many different kinds. If you have reams of paper, the answers you seek will be there, just takes time to absorb it all Good luck , it will all make sense soon.

Wow thanks so much for persisting and posting your beautiful stomach - I've not seen a feeding tube setup quite like that one either, but if it works ... !

I think Diane is quite right that the buttons must be to hold some temporary dissolving sutures.

If there are two ports it should be the bumper type, but that whole thing is so far from a typical feeding tube that all bets are off! It looks as though it is intended to stabilize the tube more than other a simple external disk but... wow, that is different!

Buried in my paperwork was a sheet that calls those buttons T-fasteners. Says they are there to pull the stomach closely against the abdominal wall to reduce risk of leakage into my abdomen. Says the sutures that hold them will dissolve. There is a permanent suture placed around the G tube that won’t dissolve. I’ve never been a nervous or panicky type, but I guess this whole ALS thing has changed my personality! Thanks everyone for your help.

Waldo, will try Dr Paul. Thanks for the help there

It has been three weeks since my PEG was put in. I am still very sore around the site although it doesn’t appear red and I’m having no fever. It almost seems that it pulls if I try to stand upright. Is this normal for most PALS? When I walk, the only way to have comfort is to hold my hand fairly tight over the tube site. I will see my family doctor for the first time on Thursday. If this is perfectly normal, I won’t worry. I know that most of you didn’t have these “buttons” around the site. Perhaps when they drop off in the next month or so, the pain will stop. I’m still taking pain meds before bed although I’m toughing it out during the day.

It varies by person.

BTW, PEG is an operation, not a type of tube.

Here:
There are different types of G Tubes and different types of operations used to place them.

The operations are:
• PEG* (Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy) done under general anesthesia. The most common type
• RIG (Radiologically Inserted Gastrostomy) done under ‘twilight sleep’. Used when breathing is an issue
• PIG (per-oral image guided gastrostomy) which is least common

The various types of tubes include:
• Danglers*, which are tubes with 12-18” of external tubing and usually an internal bolster to prevent the tube from pulling out. (which is a scary but not grave problem). These can last for years before needing replacement. Some danglers can use internal balloons instead of the solid bolster. These will eventually fail and need replacement.

• Low profile or button, which does not have the long external tube but does require an ‘extension’ tube for use. This type can have an internal bolster but more commonly use an internal ‘balloon’. Just as the above, these balloons will eventually fail.

The pain I had was isolated to the stoma and surrounding area, but it went away after a week to 10 days. I never had any issue with pain when walking. It was all tied to the stoma. Of course, I also didn't have any of the 'extra pieces you have. I just have the tube and the outer bumper visible.

Can you rotate the tube with out pain? Can you loosen the bumper, that is move it away from the stoma, and move the tube in and out without pain?

Dave

Greg, guess I didn’t know all these differences! I had my tube placed by RIG. I’m realizing that I was really pretty uninformed regarding what they did. No one explained any of the different types or what to expect. Because my husband had a j-tube following esophageal cancer, I guess they thought we knew it all. Dave, I have never tried rotating the tube. It’s so sore that I haven’t touched it much. Hoping there isn’t a problem. After three weeks I thought I would be in good shape. Instead, I sit in a recliner much of the day, waiting for my evening feed so I can take a pain pill and go to bed! When I went to surgery I had been told that it was a PEG and I would be under a general anesthetic. Not until I got into the operating room was I told otherwise! The whole thing was a nightmare. It was almost midnight before I was sent to recovery

Verify the tightness, as Dave mentioned. Should be a nice gap, up to 2-3 quarters in height.

Rotating daily and flushing twice daily is necessary.

One of our members, Diane H., has a very handy website, this is the First Tube section...

My husband had something similar to those. They came off on their own after a bit of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back