Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
US
State
Idaho
City
Leadore
Just got out of the hospital after a PEG was put in. Going through forums to see what to expect. You all are talking about all different kinds with buttons, mic, etc. I have no idea what I have! Have no instructions other than to feed 375 mil three times a day. My husband had to go down and pick up formula, so I haven’t seen anyone. I have, right now, a white rubber (plastic.?) cover over it with, I think, 2 cream colored buttons. Read what they sent from the hospital about the buttons falling off in 4-6 weeks. Asked the home health care nurse and she had never heard of that! Where do I go now....

can you take a photo?

I've never heard of buttons falling off?

I'm sorry they did not give you full information!

When my son gets home I’ll see if I can do that. Have trouble posting pictures to this site.

Charming picture of my 72 year old belly

Let’s see if this beautiful picture of my belly works!

Attachments

• PEG.jpg
    PEG.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 644
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't get the link to work. It says invalid attachment.

Sorry folks. There appears to be some sort of strange glitch here. Idaho, I've saved your picture and re-uploaded it. I hope it sticks this time!

My guess is that the feeding tube may have a couple of temporary, disolving sutures that are through the buttons so they won't get imbedded in the skin. That would fit the time frame.

If your tube has two ports on the end, it is held in stomach with a bumper. If it has three ports, it has a balloon in the stomach. That third port is used to inflate the balloon with water or air and to deflate it for removal. The type and brand of the tube can be changed later.

As a feeding tube newby, you might find my webpage helpful for all the details about tubes, and care. file:///C:/Websites/ALS/spring2018/pegfirsttube.html

The link still gives an invalid attachment message.

I can open the picture but I don’t think anyone else can. At any rate, since I don’t have a primary care doc here in California, who should I feel that the questions are best answered by? The ALS clinic, the hospital team at UCSF or the home health care nurse? I really feel like I’m floating! The forum talks about changing things on the tube, but it seems to depend upon so many things. I don’t want to go back to Idaho without a plan in place. If we leave in two weeks like we would like to and those buttons drop off, I want to be sure I have enough info

Diane, are you talking about the valves at the end of the dangling tube? I only have two orange ports

The picture has finally came through and it looks nothing like my tube set up.

Doesn't look like mine either.

Dave

Well, those comments are special, lol! Nobody stayed in the hospital for 6 days and no one has something like my PEG, I think I’ll write the ALS Clinic and ask why. I appreciate all of you taking your time to try and help me out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back