Peg in 1 week - Can a gait belt still be used for transfer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarstBoy

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
My wife is having a feeding tube installed in a week. It struck me today that gait belt transfers could be not only painful, but could possibly damage the tube/stomach connection. Right now a gait belt is the only means of transfer to the commode we have. We have yet to receive a toileting sling for our new hoyer. Is the use of a gait belt immediately after a tube is implanted advisable? If not, how have others dealt with it?

For those of you who have and

I don't have experience with this, but a quick Google search (gait belt PEG) shows videos and advice, so it appears the answer is, "it can work if you can use the belt on the upper body avoiding both the breasts and tube." Of course, I would view the video, etc. and try the new technique in advance.

Do you not have any sling for the lift? You don't need a "toileting sling" -- what are sold as that are usually not the best thing -- you need a divided leg aka "U" sling. I remember your shoulders are bad, so there may be issues when you have to be more precise with the lift to avoid drag on the tube.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
My wife has a peg tube. She is in wheelchair.
No issues standing her up or sitting her down and my body is right up against hers. Good thing about a peg tube is She doesn't have to swallow pills anymore. She takes a lot

I don't have experience with this, but a quick Google search (gait belt PEG) shows videos and advice, so it appears the answer is, "it can work if you can use the belt on the upper body avoiding both the breasts and tube." Of course, I would view the video, etc. and try the new technique in advance.
Igelb, Looks like I left out a key part of the question. As concerns the gait belt, I was really thinking in terms of the pain immediately after the surgery. When using the gait belt for the first time after the PEG installation procedure, the skin will get pulled up as I help lift get her up, thus creating tension on the fresh surgical wound. This is day surgery so she'll be coming home the same day, so when she gets home I'm sure I'll have to get her on the bedside commode somehow. I'm nervous about not only causing her additional pain but possibly damaging the surgical site.

Do you not have any sling for the lift? You don't need a "toileting sling" -- what are sold as that are usually not the best thing -- you need a divided leg aka "U" sling. I remember your shoulders are bad, so there may be issues when you have to be more precise with the lift to avoid drag on the tube.
Yes, I do have a sling but it has a "shelf" sown into it for the butt. I would have to lower her down on the commode then hope I can pull that "shelf" out far enough to allow her to use the potty. The VA has a more appropriate sling on order but unknown when it will arrive.

Shoulders - I've been very fortunate so far. I've been going out of my way to lift in such a was as to minimize the possibility of strain on my rotator cuff.

My wife has a peg tube. She is in wheelchair.
No issues standing her up or sitting her down and my body is right up against hers. Good thing about a peg tube is She doesn't have to swallow pills anymore. She takes a lot
Mine takes a bunch of pills too, one of which can't be crushed or split! Will be getting a prescription for a crushable substitute.

Not trying to add to the budget, but you could get a divided leg sling on line (on Amazon Prime, for example, so you still have time, for <$100) and then maybe ask the VA for reimbursement? Yes, the "shelf" in a "toileting sling" is why we don't recommend them. I have never figured out who could really use them. They seem like another era.

If you place the belt high enough and block her body with yours, I think you could avoid drag on the wound, but admittedly, it's not an ideal method. You could also use a female urinal (also available on line) for a while to minimize transfers as she heals, and even consider a bucket/pads for BMs temporarily, if the transfers are too much.

A sling she can use is clearly the best idea...

Not trying to add to the budget, but you could get a divided leg sling on line (on Amazon Prime, for example, so you still have time, for <$100) and then maybe ask the VA for reimbursement? Yes, the "shelf" in a "toileting sling" is why we don't recommend them. I have never figured out who could really use them. They seem like another era.
Was hoping I would get notice today that the VA ordered sling was on its way but no joy, so I went ahead and ordered a "cheap" open leg sling. Should be here before her surgery according to Amazon.

Did she have the procedure -- how did it go? and did you get the sling? I saw in another thread that you got a Purewick for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back