Status
Not open for further replies.
My dietian recommends carbonated beverages and also those flavored with lemon early on.
I'm not "there" yet so can't give you first hand that it works

Hi all, well finally some good news. Saw my Gastro doctor today and am booked in for the PEG Insertion next Tuesday 11th. Very happy that it's all come together at last. Not sure if it's just me but I think my swallow has become a little worse over the last couple of weeks so this has all come at the right time. I asked the doc how long between replacement tubes and he said that I should get 12 months out of it. He did mention to not put corrosive products in it and mention coke as a bad one. Also spoke with my dietitian yesterday and she'll work out a feeding program for me based on between 3000 and 4000 calories a day with fibre and protein so whatever I eat normally will be an added bonus. The PEG food is subsidized and a flat rate of $140 a month is charged regardless of the amount of product but the standing order and or any changes must come from the dietitian. I've deceided to go with a manual feed first up to see how I go, I don't like the idea of an overnight pump so will stick with a gravity or syringe feed. I'll give it about a week or or so then will start blending some real food as well. That's the plan anyway! Just on water intake, I used to drink around 2 liters of water a day so I'm aware that the PEG food is mostly water will that be enough added to the flushing before and after feeds to keep up my hydration?
Only a week to go and I hoping that with better food intake it might give me back some energy and one less thing to stress about.

I suggest adding more water. I recently started giving my husband 10 oz of water about 9 times a day, as I was worried he may have had a kidney stone. With the syringe, just pour it in, do not use the plunger. Took me 2 yrs to figure this one out! After your surgery, do a bland diet for the first 48 hrs when eating by mouth.

Hurray! Good luck and keep us posted.... Your life will be different, but better.

Jen

very happy with the feeding tube, but my husband is still losing weight, any thoughts as to what kind of nutrition ie jevity we should be using?

We use Jevity 1.5, but he doesnt want it very much, can still eat by mouth. Can he eat at all by mouth, or he strictly tube fed?

My dietician suggesting adding a teaspoon of oil and sugar to boast calories to my Isosource 1.5.

Good news Sharks! Glad you have it sorted, not long now mate.
Can I ask what else they indicated was "corrosive"?
I have a standing order which needs to be changed by the dietitian. They seem quite flexible with that however. We are fully funded but $140 a month is very reasonable when you consider the real cost.
A couple of weeks after the PEG I found the relief from the stress of having to drinking gave me much more energy to eat and I was able to cope with a more varied diet than pre PEG. Obviously it's a temporary and due to less daily effort not actual improvement but I'm enjoying it while I can......about 8 weeks on.
Initially I went with a hydration schedule.. It all just seemed so new and complicated. Now I just flush first think in the morning, last thing at night, after meds or feeds and then "drink" when I'm thirsty. In reality it's a much more normal routine than what I was pre PEG. I hope you will find it to be the same.
All the best for the 11th!

PEG Insertion next Tuesday 11th. He did mention to not put corrosive products in it and mention coke The PEG food is subsidized and a flat rate of $140 a month is charged regardless of the amount of product but the standing order and or any changes must come from the dietitian. That's the plan anyway! Just on water intake, I used to drink around 2 liters of water a day so I'm aware that the PEG food is mostly water will that be enough added to the flushing before and after feeds to keep up my hydration?
Only a week to go and I hoping that with better food intake it might give me back some energy and one less thing to stress about.

Last edited:
unfortunately, my husband cant eat at all by mouth, I am using 1.5 jevity as well, am also adding olive oil for xtra calories , I use to purree and strain foods for the tube as well, but honestly with working 12 hr shifts, it very difficulty, at leat with the jevity Im sure of the basic nut value. thanks for your input

Hope it goes well for you today Danny. Let us know how you are when you can. All the best.

Hi all,
Well here I am 4 days after my peg insertion and so far so good. Got to Tweed Hospital Tuesday and was prepped and went straight in. I was kept in for two nights as the dietitian wanted to make sure I would tolerate the food and to make sure I was aborbing all the nutrients. My dietitian had already organized the food which was delivered to my home. She has me on Fortisip which has 300 calories per 200ml (7oz?) bottle. Started on 80ml (2/3oz) water flush then the same Fortisip then water flush 6 times a day. She has me on a plan to get me to "full feeds" by about Monday which is 1 bottle per day 6 times. I'm hopping I can get to a stage of doing 3 feeds a day of 2 bottles otherwise I'll feel as though I'm just continually feeding. It's a strange feeling, I can slightly taste both the water and feed when I have it. I have both vanilla and strawberry flavor so it's not a bad taste. I've been doing my Meds via tube aswell which is so much easier. I've had a couple of bowls of real food by mouth so far and I'm aiming to get at least two mouth feeds in a day. I've spoken with my Naturalpath who is getting me a multi vitamin & mineral liquid tonic to take as well. Any suggestions would be great.
The tube feeds make up 1800 calories a day so hopping with mouth feeds I can total around 2500 a day. Still a bit tender around the site but that's to be expected I'm sure it will be all worth it in the long run. I give it a week or so then might start experimenting making and blending some of my own food.
I'm surprised, I thought it would have been harder doing the feeds and slower, but I can manage it on my own at the moment which takes a bit of presure off my wife who already has her hands full with our three boys, 7, 3 and 18 months. Along with all the new skills she's learning like how to change light globes, replacing batteries in smoke detectors and water testing and adding chemical to the pool she's quiet a busy girl!
I've started a weight chart so it will be interesting to see how I go.
Danny

That is great news Danny. Especially that you can do it yourself.

My able bodied CAL (AKA hubby) hasn't mastered feeding himself yet. LOL. Although, he has been keen of late on the cooking lessons I've been giving him. I must ensure I won't starve due to his terrible cooking, when I can no longer "man" the kitchen.

Interesting to me that you do get a taste ... hope they have chocolate flavour when I get there.

Good luck keeping the weight on!

Great news, Danny! Glad to hear that all is going well!

Great news Danny. Glad it's going so well. I found it felt less odd and becomes old hat in a very short time. Hope you find the same.

Good news, Danny. Make sure to stay well hydrated. As much water as you can in addition to the nutrition supplements.

Yasmin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back