Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
th
State
phuket
City
patong
22-26Aug...been to hell and back this week.

no sleep since op for feeding tube 100 hours now
can't close right eye
see flashing light when do and have to open it
many other problems breathing can inhale through nose but exhaling struggle
salivated nonstop for hours filled my stomach with saliva

had general anaesthetic because pain
thought was having local but was thrashing around in pain from the hard table on neck and spine just being lifted onto table never saw a mask coming must have knocked me out instantly

woke up in icu gagging on tube down throat
doc put me because breathing problems
i stopped breathing for a while had to be revived
collapsed lungs i guess
only worked out this morning why no sleep after saying goodbye to surgeon
he too busy to come back to see me does not speak English much
got another doc said muscle damage to eyes can come in late stage of als couldn't get him to understand anymore too coincidental
frustrated because can't get anyone understand problems
couldn't use computer at all in room on bed whole time and tried many combinations but couldn't get enough movement in my hands on the mouse and no Internet so with not being able to speak i was totally cut off from the outside world
simple op for a PEG feeding tube with local anaesthetic became one with a general anaesthetic because i was thrashing around on the hard op table. woke up in icu gagging on tube down throat.
doc put me there because breathing problem.
i stopped breathing for a while had to be revived. wasn't gone long enough for me to see what was on the other side.
very loud gurgling sound i thought was air in my stomach and then a nurse rushing towards me. collapsed lungs i guess.

think the stopping sleeping and pain meds before the op then the icu trauma and no meds after it caused all the problems. don't think they wanted me to sleep because my breathing was bad.

one complication was uncontrollable salivating. As fast as i either dribbled it out or swallowed it it was replaced by another load and would go on for hours. my stomach filled up with saliva then I would start choking. it was horrible.

another and almost as bad as the icu incident since the op i couldn't close my right eye.
when open i see like someone has dropped a pebble in a pool and you see the ripples travelling out
when closed i get the flashing light and looks like my eye is bouncing up and down.

i went over 100 hours with NO sleep!

only when I got home and could take some xanax and painkillers and lie on a comfortable mattress and not have a nurse in every 15 minutes day and night could i finally sleep.

i can't believe how quickly i have gone down since noticing first symptom 18 months ago then being diagnosed 11 ago
not much of me left
my legs are like a cockbird and my arms a couple of twigs
my head rests on my left shoulder with my chin in my chest
only movement left is a little in my legs and shoulders and hands and i can turn my head to the left only
seen myself a few times in the mirror recently and it is a horrible sight seeing my shrivelled up scrawny body
looks like I've been in a POW Camp for a few years
friends must be shocked at my appearance but are very good at not showing it in front of me and come bounding in with a smile on
had the occasional witty remark like you have lost a bit of weight! ' but i can imagine what they are thinking

i guess my next challenge is to make it to my 55th birthday. ..HA HA in Thai! ...18 September but that's a long way away

my blog This_is_MY_life • View topic - This is MY life

Who is taking care of you? You need help Dear! Let me know.

Sounds like you don't get good care in some hospitals in Thailand.

AL.

Can you have a nurse stay at your house? I'm sorry for all your pain

The worse thing you can do is loose weight as soon as I found this out I started drinking whey protein I haven't weigh in awhile but I don't feel like I have lost any weight I wished I had a peg but my doctor has never mention it. I have to make myself eat

I am sorry lostin. I am sorry you had to go downhill so quickly...you did put my own petty concerns into perspective...but as a quick retort and hopes that you don't take offense...I am only 24 and going through this medical crap...it is hard when there is very little support for someone with the disease(as you are aware)...let alone...next to nothing of support for someone so young with it. Anyway, know of my prayers for you in comfort and hopes that you make it to your 55th birthday. I hope you find a capable dr. who will listen to you and get you the necessary perscriptions to help you out with your eye, swallowing, and peg. Good luck to you.

I put the protein powder in my husbands milkshake too...lots of calories..

P.S. Ensure helps with weight loss...I take one everyday to stabilize my weight.

Sawadee krup. Lostin, I can identify with many of your sufferings and frustrations. I also have a caregiver like Jeab. She is indispensable. Keep up with your positive spirit. Here's hoping that you will be comfortable and pain free.

Dear Rex,
I just spent the last two hours reading your blog. You have done a fine job of the blog as it does make me feel that I know you. Your photos show your life story. A young chap from Guernsey who has lived the life of a bon vivant <g>. I liked reading about your roulette system--although I didn't understand a lot of it, but it is fascinating. I'm sorry that this terrible disease is moving so quickly, but I think that you are correct in thinking that in your situation that being in Thailand with the care givers that you have is probably better than returning to Guernsey. Your story has made me cry as it tells so many stories of what you have lived through, and yet you continue to strive to be a good man. I wish you much peace and love and comfort.
Your new friend,
Laurel

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Inability to sleep is the worst.

I've already ordered the cake and singing telegram for the 18th.

HI Lostin

Sorry you had such a bad PEG experience! Have they done any scans to see what the issue is with your eye? It's possible there was a small bleed that is causing the vision disturbance.

Hopefully, you're feeling better by now!

no. its settled down now and I am sleeping when I am not salivating

Hi Lostin,

You impress me with your spirit. Your blog is great reading too. I hope you continue to have some relief and get more sleep.

The following is supposed to be a big secret, but, I'm not that good at secrets... Rumor has it that there is a HUGE lavish birthday bash being planned here on the forum for the 18th of next month.....

Lostin, there are several meds that can help with the saliva buildup. Elavil is one--other PALS will know of others. Helps dry up secretions which should make you feel better at least in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back