Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
UK
State
Tyne and Wear
City
Newcastle upon Tyne
What they say about having a peg feed sooner rather than later I would say is indeed very valid for any one with als.

I am now booked in for one in the 22nd this month, but have two very great fears, one being i will likely be to weak. Two being the camera down my throat, the last time caused me a very sore throat eight days running, and with my throat and mouth being so incredibly dry, the two will not mix

Any one any ideas from experience please

Chris, Brooksea posted a few days ago a pdf file of a pamphlet telling all you need to know about the PEG. I've had the dry mouth problem as well because of some medication that I take. Rose had suggested a product called Aqua Drops. I use the Biotene spray at night and it does work wonders. My speech therapist recommended a chewing gum that works quite well for relief. It was developed by a professor at the Medical College where I go to Clinic. It can be purchased online. It's called Mighteaflow, by Camellix. They also make a Dry Mouth Lozenge.
I found an oral anesthetic spray really helped ease my sore throat after intubation for a minor surgery.
I hope you'll get some relief, It's such an uncomfortable feeling.

My post went to Moderation. I listed some things to help alleviate the dry mouth.

The sooner the better. My son waited to long and it was very hard on him because he became very weak due to not being able to maintain the daily calories. It took about two weeks to master the tube and machine. Since then it has been a lot easier on him to take his meds thru the tube. Also his insurance qualified his for inhome nursing 12 hrs. per day 7 days a week due to the feed tube and his food is also covered.

Chris, are you having a pre assessment appointment prior to the 22nd? Before any procedure Mark has done we request a pre assess visit. This gives Mark the opportunity to tell me any worries or fears and I raise them at the appointment so that his mind can be put at rest.

You could also request a pre med - something to take the edge of your fear before the procedure.

Mark had his PEG done very early on and was very strong so I cant think that he had those fears, but I do know that anything that involves his mouth and throat is frightening for him.

Gosh you really do have a lot going on at the moment dont you? Your mind must be in a whirl x

Chris,
Rog had his tube put in without much anesthetic. The IR department did the procedure without putting a camera down his throat, used his BiPap for anesthesia and a local at the site. Side effects were minimal.

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back