Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
Uni
State
TEXAS
City
El Paso
My PALS has skin peeling off inside his mouth. It looks very red. He does use a Trilogy with mask 95% of the time. Any thoughts or remedys?

Get it checked by a doctor in case it is fungal?

It kind of sounds like thrush or similar, to me.

I found out the skin sloughing in my PALS mouth is from the Trilogy. The humidifier does not last all night and goes dry. When I get up in the morning the first thing I do is refill it.

Buckhorn: we were given the Trilogy after our first visit with the pulmonologist. His numbers weren't really low enough PFT 73) but by the next visit they were. He only used it at night back in October but now it is 95% of the time. He does not want a vent so this has definitely prolonged his life! It is rented and paid by Medicare and Tricare...Medicare pays a much larger portion. Hope this info helps.

Glad you found the cause Michelle!
Have you found a solution?
Skin inside the mouth should not peel and will be so prone to infection, bacterial or fungal.

The Trilogy humidifier is flawed by more than one account. Change its filters religiously, use distilled water only, reconsider the temp/humidity in the room itself. Sometimes even here in rainy Seattle, I had a humidifier running in addition to our BiPAP's. A natural antibiotic (e.g. grapeseed extract) or saline spray or pectin lozenge if he is able to suck on them might help. And rinsing, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back