00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Male | 30

Hello, I have recently be noticing twitching and spasms in throughout my body, specifically my left calf and shin area. I’m an avid runner who was diagnosed with anxiety in January and I have been on and off of both Singulair for allergies and Zoloft for anxiety. I began noticing some worrisome symptoms in my legs and went to my GP for some peace of mind, but I did let myself spiral down Dr. Google which led me here.

My symptoms are as follows:
-Noticeable twitching, spams, or fasciculations in left calf (sometimes also throughout body, but this is the primary area I notice them), once I’m done an activity (running, walking, stretching). I’ve definitely noticed them significantly more since I was instructed to come off Zoloft and Singulair a few days ago. But they are still persistent and noteworthy, especially in my left calf area (this is all over the calf.. both sides, of it and in the shin)
-soreness/ dull ache/pain in both calves and knee area especially a few days after a run or a long walk and during walking
-cracking sound in both legs whenever I move them
-being cognitive of my walking and my legs feeling “off” or heavier on walks
- foot cramps (a few times a week at night)

I understand that anxiety plays a huge role in a lot of these posts and I want to admit that I definitely suffer from some extreme health anxiety, but I also take notice to my body and any changes or sensations. I’ve definitely felt a lot of sorenes post run in my calf areas over the last year, but the fasciculations are something I’m just noticing.

Is this something I should be following up with a Neurologist on, or is this BFS and anxiety related?
I haven’t had any noticeable failure, but I definitely feel a bit off in the leg areas and the twitching is definitely my biggest concern now.

Thank you so much in advance. I’ve learned a lot about ALS over the last week and my heart goes out to those who suffer from this horrible disease and their families. Im going to make sure I donate to the ALS foundation and participate in some of the charity and fundraising events in my local area.

SSRIs like Zoloft don't work as well if you are going "on and off" them. I'd pick a lane.

I don't see any reason to worry about ALS, but for your general health, would check in with your PCP. And if you have "extreme health anxiety," I would find more/better therapy for it lest it take over your life as well as health.

I appreciate the response. I think my biggest worry is the twitching throughout my calf and shin, especially after a run or walk. I have perceived weakness in the areas as well, but I acknowledge that ALS is extremely rare and that this could be anything.. does this at all sound like something I should bother a neurologist with in the office chance it is something aside from normal BFS and aches/pains?

Sorry for the questions and paragraphs. I’m just trying to make sure there’s nothing I should be overlooking

The first person to bother is, again, your PCP. There is no reason to prejudge that there is something neurologic here. If you have doubts, find another PCP, but should be your next stop.

Again, no, this does not sound like a "something," but to reassure yourself, there is no harm in seeing your PCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back