Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry for all that is happening.

I'm just wondering what your sister actually wants and what she says about everything that is happening as I've not heard anything on that?

Such a difficult situation with you being so far away - is there any way you can take a week or two and go out there to help sort this out?

I was wondering the same thing as Tillie, and I was also wondering how the college age children feel about the situation. Can you enlist them as allies to try to convince their father that he needs help?

[If they are listening to you, you should not underestimate the amount of outside help your sister may need.]

Actually, I would never suggest to Hospice that 4-6 hrs of daily assistance would be sufficient, but I'm trying to get my BIL to agree to at least a few hours of care a day, and he's digging in his heels again. He has insisted on providing care entirely by himself for more than a year now, and I don't think he even realizes how exhausted and depressed he is and how minimal the care he was providing was. He has overridden Hospice and insisted on bringing my sister home from the nursing home without help and is supervising the search for a home healthcare provider himself, but as far as I know he has done nothing yet, so Hospice has set tomorrow as a deadline for making the arrangements. I told Hospice that I thought 12 hours a day at home would be best if it weren't possible to provide round-the-clock care at a skilled nursing facility. I agree that keeping her at home would be ideal, and I provided 24/hr agency care at home for my mother, who had Alzheimer's, for that very reason. I know my judgment here is very subjective; at our home, I was around my mother all the time, and the house is full of pets, light-filled, comfortable and tidy. My sister lives in a room far away from the rest of the family in a home that is dark, cluttered and awful, so my wish for her to be in a SNF was more in hopes that she would have more social interaction and a better environment elsewhere. You're right, though - she would want to be at home with her family, and I can only hope that they will pay more attention to her now that other people are looking in on them.

[I also echo Laurie's concern about potential problems with "proxy" care workers being there at the end and not fully understanding or appreciating the PALS' wishes.]
I have absolutely no legal standing here, so Hospice must work with my BIL in this matter, but they are dismayed, as am I, that he still insists on a full code. I think that's why they turned to me in the first place, but I'm powerless in this matter. Her husband claims that he spoke with my sister a few months ago and she insisted that she wanted all measures taken to preserve her life, but she has had dementia for more than a year and was not able to speak or communicate at all at the time, so I suspect he is projecting here. The sister that I know and love was an extraordinarily athletic, active, independent person and would never want to prolong her life under conditions like this. I think it would be the greatest kindness if she could just slip away, but that's not likely to happen. It's just a mess, and the saddest thing is that I suspect her husband may really go into a tailspin when this is finally over, because he just hasn't been able to come to terms with the inevitable outcome. I hope his kids will help to support him and give him a reason to keep going, but they are young themselves and will need emotional support as well.

Can you get over there and see for yourself what is going on and try to help him sort this out? Seems impossible from a distance.

I am so sorry about your sisters situation. I think you do need to see about getting in there yourself to see what is going on. 12 hours a day is a lot of care to mandate, and it must be the case that they feel your sisters current situation is negligent. If that's the case, adult protection can and will likely take it out of your BILs hands and mandate your sisters care situation. Of course your BIL can't pay for all that homecare, so few can but a Medicare nursing home is an option and when I worked in healthcare I did see Adult Protection mandate that on at least one occasion.
I hope family can resolve this before others do. What a spot to be in.

I am so sorry about your sisters situation. I think you do need to see about getting in there yourself to see what is going on. 12 hours a day is a lot of care to mandate, and it must be the case that they feel your sisters current situation is negligent. If that's the case, adult protection can and will likely take it out of your BILs hands and mandate your sisters care situation. Of course your BIL can't pay for all that homecare, so few can but a Medicare nursing home is an option and when I worked in healthcare I did see Adult Protection mandate that on at least one occasion.
I hope family can resolve this before others do. What a spot to be in.

Thanks, Lkaibel. You're absolutely correct about their assessment of the situation, unfortunately. I'm supposed to be the payee for the healthcare services, and with today as the deadline for starting home healthcare, it would appear that nothing has been set up yet, so I am waiting for a call from Hospice to find out what they have decided to do. I would go up there in a heartbeat except that it is an expensive trip and I just got back from a visit a few weeks ago (this whole situation erupted just after I left). I'll be going up again in a few weeks, of course. In the meantime, thanks to you and everyone else for your very helpful suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back