Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Swe
State
Västra Götaland
City
Skövde
Hi! I'm new to this site and first of all I just want to say what a group of fighters you are. Not only are you fighting probably the worst disease on this earth, but you help so many anxious people by calming them and answering their questions.

So, as you may have guessed, I'm one of those anxious people. My ALS fear began around 7-8 months ago with weird feelings in my right leg and right arm. I had a breakdown with pretty much every physical symptom of anxiety you can get (a lot of which to me mimic ALS). I went through a number of doctors who did neurogical tests on me, and I even begged for an MRI, which I got. It came back clean. The doctor prescribed Prozac, I spent some time in therapy and I was beginning to feel so good about myself. The ALS fear toned down and I got back to living my life.

About two months ago, the fear came back. Started self-testing, and noticed right leg is weaker. And that freaked me out..I started feeling this weird cramp-like feeling in my right arm, and sometimes my forearm would cramp and thumb twitch for a few seconds. No profound weakness that I could notice though (except percieved).

I have gone through a neurogical exam, but not performed by a neurologist but by a naprapath. He didn't test for Babinski or Hoffman, but every deep tendon reflex, which he said were all symmetrical and nothing to worry about. I walked out of there, happy and relieved. For a few days. My arm has gotten a lot worse, I can still lift things (although they feel heavier) and it feels like my skin is burning from time to time, only in that arm. Pain in my fingers, tired muscles and pain all over. Very sore shoulder muscles also, which is why I went to see a naprapath.

Today I saw my doctor again, who performed strength and reflex tests on my arms. He commented on how strong I was (which I guess is good, I don't feel so strong) and said that my reflexes were A-okay. But here's my question: When he tested my left brachioradialis reflex (on my wrist) my fingers flexed which I've read is called a pathologically brisk reflex. So I'm freaking out again. I don't know if my right arm did it, but he said that he wasn't worried, and that my reflexes were fine. Can a pathologically brisk reflex be normal? He didn't test for Babinski or Hoffman.

As I'm typing this, I'm feeling weak in my right arm and I have burning sensation all over this arm and there's pain. Not to mention I've had twitches all over my body for the past few months, but more on my right side. I'm on Prozac again and the twitches have subsided to a more reasonable level. Still very worried about the reflex though. He doesn't want to refer me to a neurologist since he's very convinced this is all anxiety-related. I'm not so convinced..

Last edited:
Hi Starente and thank you so much for replying!

I've read it thorough, but it can't be read enough I believe!

I tried to get a second opinion from another doctor an hour ago, she didn't even want to examine me, and said to trust my first doctor. Anxiety still high, but..I really do hope they're right about this being anxiety-related, including the weird wrist reflex which is obviously called inverted brachioradialis reflex. Oh google, how I love to hate you..

Thanks again for the reply <3

No problem. Good luck!

Think you for your reply affected!

Yes, normally I would be posting there but these symptoms and hyperactive reflexes scare me..

Think you for your reply affected!

Yes, normally I would be posting there but these symptoms and hyperactive reflexes scare me..

The scaring you even though doctors and us tell you this is not ALS is why you need to stick to a health anxiety forum. We are caring for people who are terminally ill. All the best, you can get this treated.

Thanks again! I will try to stay off internet for a while and listen to you and my doctor's advice.

All the best <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back