Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
va
City
washington dc
So I've had muscle twitching since age fifteen. Recently went on a low carb diet and got twitches all over my body. And then I started researching and found about als. I am a twenty one yr female unusual but women at that age can get als. So I have been having a lot of musle fatigue I feel woghed down but I think that is perceived. I have been having wrist weakness and this morn I could not open my twist deoderant bit was able to after a few spins. I am just really nervous...should I go see a doctor

To "paranoid hypochondriac." Yes.

So... You jumped to the conclusion you may a fatal disease but not sure you ought to see a doctor? Yes - see a doctor.

In my opinion, you don't have ALS. Generally, our prognosis is 2-5 years. You'd have six years in... Believe me, if you had it, opening deodorant would be the least of your problems. To put it in perspective for you, not only can't I open my deodorant, I cannot even apply it. And I'm not quite approaching the start of year 3. So, I think your odds are pretty good.

My fear is that I've had Benign Fasciculation Syndrome all these years, and now I have ALS, two different diseases, and that I'm at the beginning stages of ALS.

I mean, to be fair, I've had these thoughts for about 2 weeks since I went on a Ketogenic Diet, and started having muscle aches coupled with the Fasciculation. I stopped the diet, upper my carbs, and the fasciculation stopped a bit. Now I have aches in my wrist, back, shoulders, and clavicle, but these are all symptoms of anxiety too. I have at least 2-3 anxiety attacks every day.

But for the past week or so, I've been having difficulty opening my deodorant stick, and when I try to stand on my tip toes, my leg shakes.

I am deeply sorry if this post offends people who do have ALS, because I admire the courageous way with which you are tackling this debilitating situation. I do not mean to be "that" person. I have not had any issues with anxiety up until last spring when I got diagnosed with PCOS. Ever since then, I have been questioning my health, and to some extent, fixating on it, though for the past 5 months I have not had any thoughts about my health, up until this whole ALS situation.

Again I'm a 21 yr old female, and I know it seems stupid for me to even ask, but there have been women my age diagnosed before.

It's just stressful...

Your chances, statistically, are completely off the charts. Go see a doctor and when he says "no", take no for an answer and move on. As Ottawa Girl said, taking the lid off a deodorant is something that most of us remember fondly. Try not having enough hand strength to open a Snickers bar...now that's frustration.

Okay y'all, thank you for humoring my obviously weird query. I don't know if I should see a doc as I feel they would laugh me out the room because so many of my symptoms...started AFTER i knew what als was -__-

And then today I was able to open the deodorant stick again, does that say something?

ALS... very, very unlikely. But before you allow your anxiety to build and add other extraneous symptoms. Go see your primary care physician. Explain your concerns and ask him if you should see a neuro. Or go see a neuro, but don't tell him about your self-diagnosis--don't worry, it won't influence his opinion and he won't laugh you out of the room.
If he does, let us know because none of use would want t run into him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back