Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
NJ
City
X
I hate all this paperwork. I'm caught up in and endless loop today. 2 different investment accounts are requiring something called a signature guarantee on their forms so that I can transfer funds to my name. The signature guarantee has to be done by a bank officer. Called today and he told me I will need a death certificate, short form letter from probate and a recent statement with the value of each account. Therein lies the problem. I have the death cert and short form letter. I do not have recent statements. He always had them delivered electronically. I got in his email, but then realized that it was a link to the login to the account. - problem is that when I notified these firms that my DH had passed, they locked his online accounts. Had I known that a statement would be required, I could have gotten one before I notified them.

GRRRRR.....

I couldn't agree with you more! I am still doing paperwork over two years later, just met with the CPA this week to straighten out 2017 and 2018 taxes for Job's estate. It didn't help the process that the investment firm didn't set up the new accounts correctly to begin with, that took forever to straighten out , then the attorneys online access to the accounts was hacked and money was stolen out of one of the accounts, then the CPA who was suppose to do the estate taxes didn't and wouldn't return calls , etc. etc.

While trying to recover from the exhaustion of caregiving and processing our grief the added burden of all the paperwork is over the top. Hoping yours gets resolved quickly, Kate

Jrzy I hear you on the paperwork mess. Having had to do 3 peeps in one year was NOT fun. Mom’s was the worst and I’m still waiting to hear back from the state. Errors and such on this end too.

Hang in there. We will get through this. If we could fight ALS, we can fight this.

HUGS

Just when I think I’m done there’s more....

I hear you, Jersey. Joining the choir!
And I'm a lucky one because my PALs never had any money that I needed to claim or take care of. One banking account and I was done. So I thought.
At my PALs one year death anniversary a letter concerning his disability pension surfaced (after being dormant in my ex neighbours letterbox for month) and prompted me to deal with all of that crap again.
They actually called me up some days after he'd passed and requested some document from his doctor. I told them that I won't take up a physician's time for paperwork about someone who can't be helped anymore. And then I asked what if my PALS had been single? No girlfriend to carry out the bidding of agencies. Told the nice lady on the phone that I hereby break up with him postmortem, bye bye.
Now another lady at the phone made it sound like I would get some money at the end of the day so it should be worthwhile to follow through with something that was set in motion more than fourteen month prior. I doubted it.
For my PALS birthday last month I got the next letter about what (little) money this is about. No final thing though because they need to get info from his health insurance. I'm pretty confident that health insurance (which in said timeframe paid more than this amount to him) will receive the claim and nothing will ever come of it for me except stirring up bad memories about the endless bureaucracy of caregiving
Same with the IRS. For my birthday I got a letter that I need to do his tax forms or pay a heavy fine. Aha. I already filled out about 90% of those forms when I discovered that there are no taxes to be refunded at all so I just gave up and let it slide. So now I finished those for free...

I find the worst part about this is that agencies deal with you the exact same way as always. A form doesn't care if someone beloved died. There of course is no gentle probing if the topic is okay right now. You just get the cold letter and it says so on so and you have to deal with it.

Miss your wonderfully witty posts Wish! LOVE how you told the lady that you were breaking up with him postmortem !! I so agree with your comment that it stirs up all the bad memories of dealing with the bureaucracy during caregiving, it's like having flashbacks from PTSD.

Wish I too miss your wit. You’ve said it all very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back