Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
US
State
CO
City
Greeley
Hi, does anyone know what would make a person with als have panic attacks at night? My dad says he's cold at 72 degrees, but if he has them put a blanket on him, he panics...I guess because he feels trapped, can't get it off himself, can't move much. I can understand the fear of being trapped, but why wouldn't it still be there if he's uncovered?

Sometimes the fear of dying in your sleep can cause panic attacks. The covers can as you say make you feel trapped and once the mind gets going you have a hard time getting calmed down. The blankets can also be heavy enough to make you fight for breaths if you have decreased breathing. Check with him and see if any of these things are bothering him.

AL.

Your father doesn't even get a moments peace in his sleep. I feel for you all. Imagine someone putting a pillow on your face, you would wake up in a fright, i think putting the blanket on your dad is similar to that but it affects his chest muscles. I would get a portable space heater and keep it near him, that way he can be warm and you dont have to crank up the thermostat or cover him in blankets....

I have had feelings of panic with blankets. It so hard to turn on my side that if a blanket get wrapped around me I panic when your arms dont work and the blanket is on them the wieght of it is so much heavier.
Its a horrible feeling I know how he feels
The feeling of being trapped is my main problem

Pat1

Thank you Sammantha, I'll definitely try the space heater. Thank you all for caring.

My husband had them as well. He had to have the lights on 24/7 no socks no blankets, T.V on loud and even though I slept 3 feet away would worry that I would not wake up to help him if he needed and would call me sporadically to make sure I would wake. We the family and his doctor would try to get him to take Ativan to take the edge off but he was afraid it would relax him to much . I tried to find the lighest pants and pull over shirts with loose necks that would keep him comfortalbe and warm and not bind him if he slid down in his chair. It was very difficult but would have done anything to ease that fear.

My heart goes out to all of you. One suggestion: if your husband(s) are cold frequently you might try those silk "long johns" that skiers use. They are very light weight and not binding but keep the body very warm. My husband is cold all the time too. Although he has not experienced any "panic attacks". I am the one that has them!

Hi,
Thanks for your question as the answers have helped me.
My husband diagnosed sept 24/07, is also very cold. He has had a few panic attacks, often ending with the feeling that he is very hot and must have the blankets removed immediatly. He too has trouble sleeping at night. ALS started with his left foot and has progressed monthly, he can only move his left thumb, head and facial has expressions. Bipap full time, he can still speak but is very difficult to understand with the pressure and weak voice. Eating one bite at a time between breaths form bipap.
Thanks for sharing thoughts everyone, when I have a moment or question this is where I come for help.

I am so glad we are able to help! I've seen this topic come up from time to time. My guess is that when the body starts to give out the hormones that control our temperature start breaking down too. Of course, that's my kindergarten version and just a hunch. Maybe Wright can offer a real explanation, lol! Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back