Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
Alabama
City
Birmingham
Everyone, thanks for the continued sage advice on all topics. Hubby dx in 2013; now wheelchair/recliner bound, trilogy non-stop. Having some what I have deemed to be panic attacks. Comes on if he thinks he's not getting enough air or he gets upset about something. Neuro has prescribed Xanax, 1/2 tab, 2.5 mg 2 times per day. I don't see that has done anything. When the panic sets in, it's pretty bad and, of course, once he gets upset there is no pulling him back. (Oh, he will say lots of things; He still has his voice!).

Any other meds that you all can recommend? Also on Lexapro - 20 mg each day. We are doing some tube feedings at night, so thinking I may need something that can go into the tube - sometimes the panic hits if he has to use cough assist and hard to get him to swallow a pill after that.

My DH swears by medical marijuana. Says it's the only thing that works. I don't know if it's legal in AL.

How long has he been on Lexapro? I ask because that SSRI caused me to have anxiety. It can also cause jaw clenching. I had spontaneous panic attacks in my 40s and my neurologist, who was treating me for migraine, prescribed Xanax. I took 2mg four times a day for YEARS. I did not build up a tolerance to it. I think the key is to take them before the panic attack starts. I've dissolved one under my tongue in very stressful situations.

That said, Xanax is not for everyone. Magnesium and REAL CBD oil helps anxiety a lot. I was able to get off Xanax completely after I upped my dose of CBD oil to 50 mg twice a day. I use Charlotte's Web. I'm also on some medical TCH (Indica because that strain is better for anxiety and promotes sleep.) I also take Valium to relax my muscles because I reacted badly to all the other muscle relaxants.

The Xanax dose your husband uses is very small. You probably know all the benzos suppress the respiratory response to CO2. I wouldn't worry so much about this especially if your husband is not on morphine.

Is it possible he needs the adjustment on his Trilogy tweaked? I'm sure Laurie will read your post and comment.

Even though you probably cannot get cannabis in Alabama, you can buy Charlotte's Web online. It is classified as a Hemp product but it is extracted from Cannabis. It is nearly 100% CBD which is wonderful for anxiety, sleep, and relaxation. It helped me a lot.

Google Stanley Brothers CBD oil and you will see their site.

Thanks Kim! He's been on Lexapro since June 2013 during the time he had symptoms, thought he had ALS, and the anxiety started. It subsided once he was diagnosed (almost a relief) in Nov. 2013. I'll check out the advice you gave and see what I can get.

Hi Emily, I second Kim's thought that your PALS may need his breathing assessed and the Trilogy settings adjusted. If the Current Trilogy settings are not meeting his breathing needs it can cause severe panic attacks. My husband was never one to have panic attacks before he went into respiritory failure and was trached and vented. I found that when he did have them subsequently, 99% of the time it was a breathing issue even if it was not apparent what the problem was. Hoping you can find a solution, Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back