Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
FL
City
North Port
I don't know if this is common, but I have been having random panic attacks. I can be doing something or nothing and bam.. it just hits me and I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest and I have to leave whatever situation I am in. The doctor tried me on Celebrex? and it didn't work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Char

I think you mean Celexa, Char, but it takes several weeks to work and works best for people who have depression and/or anxiety on more of an ongoing basis.

If you did not have these attacks before you lost your dad, it isn't necessarily not having the right med, but adjusting to that loss. You might allow yourself to grieve, be angry, talk with others about him and live in, rather than above, your loss for a while. Maybe you tried to "move on" too soon? Professional counseling or talking with a friend about your feelings are always options as well.

Best,
Laurie

You are correct it was Celexa. For some reason, I always get the two confused. I ususally am not one for any meds to help, but I have tried grief therapy and still the panic comes. So, thank you Laurie for your advice but I think I would benefit from a few others' opinions in this situation.

I also had anxiety episodes - always when I was out. Different people have different triggers, and for me I had grief stuff when at home alone but I could just stop and have a big cry or whatever. But when out, I could suddenly feel so overwhelmed with grief that I would feel like I was going to break down and howl and that would cause me to become anxious and it was quite awful. I also found it would just come 'out of the blue'. One minute I was fine, the next oh no!

Often in that first year I just abandoned carts of shopping, or snuck out of social events because of this.

I learned to control the anxiety, and I learned to accept it as well. I learned not to expect too much of myself, and pace myself in going out and what social things I would go to. As I talked to others in widows groups I found out that it is a really common and normal part of grieving, and it does pass if you acknowledge it and deal with your grief. It just doesn't pass in a few weeks, and not even just a few months.

Hang in there, it is awful, but it will ease off as you work through this deep grief. If the meds help as you take them over time that is fine, use them.

When I was in my 30s I was caregiver for both my parents. I was writing a book, teaching full time, and working on my doctorate. I was doing OK (in my own mind) until they both died and my book was finished. I started getting panic attacks in the classroom. One time I had to dismiss class it was so bad. My neurologist/psychiatrist friend told me Xanax was the drug of choice for panic attacks. I took no medicine back then and was very afraid to take Xanax. However, that drug set me free from panic and I never had another full grown panic attack since then. I was able to slowly come off them but always had some on hand in case I thought I would need one. It only took a very small dose to work.

I have a doctor's appointment next Friday where I will talk to her in detail about the panic.

For now I am taking L-Thenine during the day and melatonin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back