Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
My husband has had on his wish list and Airedale puppy. We called half a dozen breeders and they were either too expensive or already had the pups promised out.

Just got a call that a breeder in Alabama has a female pup available. Hooray!

Would like to know how others feel about pets for PALS and what kind of experience you've had positive or negative.

Having an Airedale (sweetest dogs on earth but ferociously protective) was on my husband's wish list and it would be a great Father's Day gift!

cj

Hi Jimercat

Hi there, Who is "Man's Best Friend"?!?! I would go for it. They are sweet animals. We were at Pet Smart one day and they had about 6 grown Airdales there. It was an organization that saves the Airdales from being put to sleep after they aren't needed for racing. They aren't that old either. They were so sweet and we were told excellent pets. Good Luck and let us know how you do. My Best to you, Beebe

Pals with Pets

jimercat said:
My husband has had on his wish list and Airedale puppy. We called half a dozen breeders and they were either too expensive or already had the pups promised out.

Just got a call that a breeder in Alabama has a female pup available. Hooray!

Would like to know how others feel about pets for PALS and what kind of experience you've had positive or negative.

Having an Airedale (sweetest dogs on earth but ferociously protective) was on my husband's wish list and it would be a great Father's Day gift!

cj

I highly recommend a pet of any kind, but especially a dog, I have had pets all my life & would not be without one or two in he family. with that bundle of fur comes deep love & endless companion ship. However be sure some one in the family has the time & energy to house break & train the little guy, . What a lovely Fathers day Gift. All the best. EM

We have 2 border collies. Great companions but they have a hard time understanding that Grampa can't throw the ball for them anymore. We call them the granddogs. Daughter had them before kids. As long as the caregiver is willing to train an animal it is a great idea. Last time I fell Gage was licking me like crazy and Desoto was running around in circles yelping. There was no doubt something was wrong with me. Who needs Lifeline? LOL.
AL.

I don't regret for a minute getting Sam. He's big (English Mastiff) but gentle and on days when I am shaky he presses against the back of my knees as if helping to hold me up. Sometimes just getting up off the sofa takes a lot of effort but if it means spending time in the yard with Sam by my side it's worth it! Cindy

Thanks y'all!

We have a Collie now and she's 7. My husband has always loved terriers and the Airedale we had before was the best.

Hubby can still walk (don't know how much longer, but he is stubborn about canes, etc...), so he needs something to keep him occupied as he is no longer able to work and all the things he used to enjoy are becoming too exhausting. Hubby can still talk, but understanding him is becoming increasingly difficult- but I figure a dog hears and understands a "universal language." I'm hoping this will help his state of mind and create an opportunity for him and my son to do something together without him totally tiring out.

cj

Any PALS using a working dog? I've been wondering about that?

Liz

My husband gets so much joy from our golden retriever, Runa. We had her before his illness started...now that he immobile and cant talk she went through a period of depression because I think it seemed he was ignoring her. It broke his heart when she started kind of disengaging from him. We really regret not recording his voice talking to her. She didnt get the synthesized voice on his first machine. But now that he got an ERICA system it has a more realistic voice and we have taught her some commands on it. Also, he has started 'giving her' treats...well, I put the treat under his hand and he calls her name on the ERICA and she comes running and takes the treat---they both love it! She cant take the treat until he tells her and will sit patiently waiting.
She is also really sensitive to crying (which goes on alot in our house!)--if someone starts crying on the TV she comes running to check it out!
Pets are so great!
Beth (CALS to husband Shannon, diagnoseded 8/04 at age 40)

HOOORAY...a new puppy! Dogs are one of my greatest joys! They (pets in general) can also be very good for our health. A veterinarian, I think his name is Marty Becker, wrote a book "The Healing Power of Pets" with some astounding and wonderful true stories and very interesting factoids, like that petting a dog can lower blood pressure and stress hormones, for both the human and the petee (is 'petee' a word?). I think a Fathers Day puppy is a grand idea!

Sharon

I agree with everyone on the thread

Get your husband his airdale terrier, dog's are wonderful, I have three German Shepherds, Vince (the male) Nannette and Maya and I love them.

Paty
Husband's Caregiver Dx 10/17/05
Baja California, Mexico

P.D. SOMEONE TOLD ME ONE DAY, NOW THAT YOUR HUSBAND IS SICK AND YOU ARE HIS ONLY CAREGIVER, WHY NOT START THINKING OF GIVING YOUR DOGS ANOTHER HOME.
NO WAY I SAID THEY ARE PART OF MY FAMILY AND TWO OLD TO GIVE THEM AWAY.
VINCE IS 8 YRS. OLD AND NANETTE AND MAYA ARE 10 GOING ON 11, THE THREE OF THEM LOVE ME DEARLY AND SO DO I.

I say get ur hubby the puppy. My Father in Law was diagnosed in July 2003. He can no longer walk or move his arms adn is having a really hard time at talking. But when he calls for his Black lab Sally she comes running into his room and jumps on his bed. She will lay there all day nestled up to him and give him kisses.

Great responses everybody!

Had a little bump in the road and couldn't get the little Airedale. So she went to someone else. But we still plan on getting one. My 6 year old isn't gonna give up on nagging us about it either!

CJ

Hi CJ. Let us know when you get the new addition to your family! Cindy

pets

Hello Liz, I did know a gentleman who had a working dog. This dog was trained according the needs of his master. When they went out the dog wore a "service Dog" vest. We hold our support group meetings in the community room of a local grocery store and had no problem getting this great dog in.

Unfortunately, I can not tell you exac tly what this dog did ,but I do know it was a great help to owner, not just for the work he was able to do but for the unconditional love and devotion the dog gave every day.
Take Care
Jane

Hi Liz. When we first got Sam my Docs were preparing me for the worst so I did an online search on "service Dogs" and found some sites for organizations who train dogs and also a few personal sites for folks who use service dogs. It seemed like a good idea if the CAL or CALS were willing to take on extra duties of pet-plus PAl care. Plus on another thread we discussed helper monkeys to fetch, carry, and open things. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back