PALS roll call Wednesdays (or whenever) PALS ONLY PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are having an unusually cool April. I am in week 2 of the rest period of my first cycle of Edaravone. My breathing has taken a decline. Getting weaker, have had this monster for almost 2 1/2 years now. Hope everyone is doing as good as possible.

Pounding rain in Northern California last night. Need sunshine so I can take a walk. PEG installed a week ago today. Still sore but improving. Hoping I will finally have the home health nurse stop today....have lots of questions!

Just checking in from Northern Cal. Still alive and kicking, if any one will get within kicking range. Clinic visit coming up this friday.

Things are going well here in Vail. The ski area closed for the season on Sunday, and closing day is always a lot of fun. I did not go skiing on closing day, because it is just too crazy. I thought about watching the pond skimming contest, but there was no practical way to get even the 4 wheel drive wheelchair into a position to view the event.

The last month has been hectic. We had family in for spring break. Then, my wife had to leave town for 3 weeks to take care of her ailing mother. Her first week there, my wife came down with the flu (I told her I was glad she was there and not here). My older sister came out for a bit to help take care of me and we had a great time.

We crammed 3 ski lessons for me into 4 weeks. That was too much and my body is taking longer to recover from each lesson. But, it was very worthwhile. I had a great time skiing and got to try out a new model of biski.

In the meantime, I continue to make progress on my slide scanning project and have started a new project to create a remote control for my Van's lift (I am not aware of a remote for the Braun Vangater II lift that we have). It works via bluetooth from my phone. It has been a great learning experience and very enjoyable to develop the hardware and software components.

Progression continues, but at a slow pace.

Steve

a rough week but still hanging on in here. The fentanyl they have me on is playing merry hell with my focus so eyegaze is difficult, but it sure does get rid of the pain.
Wendy

Bob, hope your visit goes well! Will check in this weekend

Wendy, I know some PALS who say the patch helped them more than anything else. I'm glad you aren't in pain.

Greetings all!! Well, I guess I'm aclimating somewhat to retirement, but surely do wish that had not been necessary. New pastor for the parish from which I retired in January was installed just last Sunday. She is the first female pastor of that parish in a nearly 200-year old history.

There was a parish somewhat north of here that needed some clerical guidance about the time I retired, so I'm keeping myself semi-busy giving them a hand on Sundays only. Luckily, I'm still driving okay, and still do love to drive, since that small, rural parish is a bit over two hours each direction.

Take care all, and I hope to see you next week.

John

Hi All,

Warm weather is finally here to stay! It can't be too hot for me. The pool is up to about 84 and we have sunny days ahead.

I'm getting an upper endoscopy in a few weeks to see if the resurgence of GERD and gastritis might mean h-pylori is back. I'm allergic to most antibiotics but I got rid of it on my own (or my body did) last time. Taking a PPI long term caused me to have polyps in my stomach so they will do a biopsy as stomach and colon cancer runs in my family.

Father John, glad to see you are still in the helping mode!

Still hanging in there. No changes.

Ray

A quiet Wednesday from the post count, so I'll offer an update. Still here, progression is moderately slow, three years from official confirmed ALS diagnosis this month.

I can stand with balance support and use my rolling walkers in the house, and transfer to the manual wheelchair for trips. I also started using an ALSA loaner go-go electric scooter for outside (tested successfully at the Tennis Masters in Indian Wells in February, and recommended). Weak leg strength has my knees locking, and I am managing with hand support, but no more free hand walking. Finger dexterity & finger/wrist strength is near zero, with only slow two-handed printing and signature. The good news is I have received some physical and occupational therapy visits that provided some good exercises and have regained some balance and finger range of motion, and strength (therapy I have asked for but not delivered over the past two years, and I recommend others to get started with asap). I can also still pedal my stationary recumbent bicycle to improve blood flow and reduce foot & leg swelling from sitting, with a new regime of multiple short 2-4 minute easy pedal events each day. I can still talk, drink, and eat (with assorted hand & wrist splints to help manage utensils). I did have a bad chest cold drop my FVC numbers nearly 20 points in a test in March, but post antibiotics & recovery they came back up.

I am still taking tirasemtiv, provided for free as a benefit of participating in the clinical trial. The drug is one of many that failed to meet the desired FDA trial endpoints, although my breathing SVC & FVC is within five points of the numbers before the clinical trial over two years ago. My numbers are currently better than when the trial ended, and since I began receiving the higher dosage (as opposed to the unknown double blind trial dosage). My ALS Clinic Doctors think the trial failed because of the washout rate (trial population mortality & combined progression side effect dropouts), and inconclusive results at the low dosages. The Doc's have hopes for the new Fortitude-ALS trial, with higher active dosage and expected lower washout rates due to less side effects. I am past the 24 month from diagnosis window, so no more clinical trial opportunities for me (even with good numbers and over two years of collected data to assist an analysis).

Take it easy, but don't give up easily.

Haven't been posting much lately as the nightmare is gripping me with both hands and we struggle.

Plateaus are far and few between,in fact they are so slight I hardly notice until another $ hit storm occurs.

But really all things considered somehow it still seems to be all good and life goes on .

Got in another 5 k run in pwc. Love being around physically able people and had I known that nobody says you can't race in pwc I would have use it years ago.
I don't even get winded or break a sweat.
I have a grand daughter as a senior in HS who got scholarship for track ,field, cross country who I started out running when she was like eight and now she runs 6:30 mile. Makes me proud.
Lots still to be grateful foe!
Love ya all
Live large
Chally

God bless you, Chally! It's seldom that I don't get some fresh insight from reading your posts... a marathon in a PWC, huh??? That does sound like something that even I might eventually manage ... :)

John

PEG site has been miserable since put in nearly a month ago. Had three “buttons” temporarily holding my stomach to the abdominal wall nail wall. The last of these came off a few days ago in the shower and the pain went down the drain. Hallelujah!

Rain has stopped the sun is out,potatoes,onions are up garden looks good.
Watching others do my work sucks but at least I can still enjoy the garden.
So many good friends ,neighbors,family, grateful for the day.
Love ya
Chally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back