PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Kevin, Of course! If I hadn't had an EMG, I would be running 10 miles a day instead of.........
Such perverted logic, right?

Well here it is Friday and the number of Covid cases and deaths are still climbing in Florida. My county has implemented a mandatory mask order. I'm so glad I was able to get my port placement surgery last Friday because just as I was afraid with cases climbing all of the surrounding hospitals have now canceled any elective surgeries. I hope everyone is staying safe.

Good to hear. Gov. DeSastrous is a mess, but at least he’s not suing your County for their mask order. I just can’t fathom what that Georgia governor is doing. Sending good vibes to all for a nice weekend.

Our beaches are packed. They should be closed. Full stop.

Governor DeStupid isn't the only Florida representative that has lost his mind. Marco Rubio said, "if people can go to CVS, kids can go to school." I had an out of body experience when I heard that.

We just drove back to Iowa from Tucson, with help from my generous daughter and her spouse. We took every precaution to avoid exposure to COVID19, though time will tell if we succeeded. On the way we drove through New Mexico which has a statewide mandate with teeth (fines) for masks (and I believe a low rate of Covid, esp compared to Arizona whose governor is an irresponsible idiot). In NM we saw 95%+ compliance with mask wearing. Then we entered Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa where people and politicians seem oblivious to the risks. At least the people in service roles (food, hotels) were masked.

Good to be home though the long drive took a lot out of us. And don't get me started on hotel/motel beds--so high in one case we (my daughter et al) had to remove the platform to allow me to get in. Why do hotels think a high bed is a good idea for a handicapped room. Most of these rooms were well equipped otherwise. Very frustrating.

Ed

Ed, So glad you finally made it back! Welcome back.
I agree about the high beds. Why so high? I had the same experience in an ADA room. But my biggest gripe will continue to be toilets that are not high enough.

Cathy,
I can still get on and off a toilet seat but all three of mine are high ones. I went to my brother's house before CV and sat down.....WOW. He is over six feet tall and feeble. I don't know how he gets back up. His wife is very short so I don't think she realizes how much they need a high toilet.e
I haven't been in a hotel since last October. It was supposed to be accessible and did have very wide doors but, again, low toilets. I think they need disabled people as designers for their "accessible" rooms.

Checking in, and I hope everyone is as well as they can be with ALS.

The Hotel ADA room conversation is a topic that needs a thread.

I like a tall bed so I can roll to the edge and pivot upright to transfer, and I take nested post risers with me when traveling. The too short ADA toilet situation always escapes me, with grab bars that are too far away or one side only (I have a toilevator riser and the swing down bars on both sides at home). The "roll in" showers with a 3 inch high threshold and/or no grab bars are cute too (they may as well put me on the lawn and soap me up when the sprinklers come on).

On the bright side, the global lockdown is keeping us away from the "fun" of traveling.

Back before I required a Hoyer for transfers, I appreciated a high bed because it was easier for me to go from sit to stand.

I agree about the low toilets tho luckily I only encountered one in 3 nights--I sat and just kept going till I hit the seat--I hadn't noticed how low it was. I don't mind the high beds once I'm in them--it is fairly easy to stand from one and a bed too low would be like a low toilet. But my wife isn't strong or tall enough to get me into the high beds and my leg and trunk strength won't allow me to get there on my own, tho eventually we managed.

Ed

Pouring rain in NH today. I agree with the anti high bed and low toilet crowd. But it's not an issue since I'm not going anywhere!

It's been overcast here for the last couple of days so it's made it tolerable. We started back for the first time since March with our volunteering at the cat sanctuary. Funny but I think the cats are confused with everyone wearing masks.

Finishing up my 2nd cycle of Radicava, so far so good. On Tuesday I'm scheduled for my first Clinic visit at UA of Miami with Dr. Benetar we'll see how that goes.

Watching the news, I have to ask Karen wth is going on in Oregon? Scary stuff. :oops:

“Watching the news, I have to ask Karen wth is going on in Oregon? Scary stuff.”

You know what I know. Very scary.

Looks like a beautiful day here. Around 90 so I am glad to stay indoors. DD put in a pollinator garden a couple years ago and the bees and birds are happy there.

Lisa it sounds like your port procedure went well. :) Hope the infusions go smoothly.

Regards,

Back