PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Such a glorious fall day- cool but clear blue sky with a gentle wind blowing through the trees. Just a light jacket is needed.

I had my very first pool day at the local YMCA after researching for a lift and visiting the facilities. I was so amazed on vacation how easy it was to walk and move in the pool and listening to the advice of many here about their experiences (Kim, Karen, and others), I decided to find a way to get me there. So I enlisted my mother, daughter and husband to take me. Fortunately they have individualized locker rooms so my husband can actually take me and get me dressed and undressed without the hassle. Great experience utilizing the lift with the helpful aquatics staff! My legs moved as if never affected by this terrible disease. They felt unlimited to move freely. They are still stiff in need of ROM, but that's what I plan to do! 😄👏🏊‍♂️

Cathy,
That is so good to hear. I have to be very careful I don't do too much at once or overstretch something. But the reason I go in as much as possible is that my body feels almost normal. Embarrassed to admit that the outdoor pool has gone down to 85 and it felt too cold to go in. That's what living in the South for 42 years does to one's cold tolerance. To think all those years I swam in the brook or in Lake Champlain where the water temperature never got out of the high 60s. 😂

Today, my housemate and I went to the mall. He got his first pedicure and I got a 45-minute leg and foot massage. We parked where it wouldn't be far from the SPA so I could walk. I wised up and took my fanny pack instead of a purse to balance the load. I couldn't resist buying some Hallmark cards. Meanwhile, Fred went for an upper-body massage. We got a lot in for a three-hour trip.

Cool weather in north east Iowa today, snow is forecast for next week, yuck. But we had a glorious sunrise.

Attachments

• 20191024_072844.jpg
    20191024_072844.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 139
Signe
Such a beautiful picture I saved it for a future screensaver :giggle:

Such a beautiful picture I saved it for a future screensaver :giggle:
That's so funny, because as I starred at the picture I thought to myself"This would make an awesome background on Signe's computer"!

What an amazing afternoon! :love:Lisa G and I met for coffee now that she has returned to Ohio. We are now only 10 minutes away from each other since my move in June when we saw each other the last time.
IMG_1858.jpg

Difficult day for me. My 35 year old son called said he was very sick and needed a ride to Madison to see me. He VA and goes to the doctor there. He had an infection on his back that had been getting worse. I haven't driven too much and it hard on me. He knows this but said he hated to ask but I was needed. I drove him and it was a good thing I did, he's been admitted to the hospital for iv meds for MRSA. He had it before after he came back from Iraq. We all thought it would be the case this time after I saw his back. Uff da. I'm home now and exhausted but I am also feeling quite needed and love that I was still able to be MOM TO THE RESCUE. I guess it is a difficult and fulfilling day. I'm also relieved that my son is getting the care he needs.

Prayers for your son. Glad you were able to help. Hope you can rest and recover

Sorry to hear about your son but glad you were still able to help him. Even though exhausting for you seems like you scored a victory 👏

Signe, so sorry about the illness of your son and the exhaustion it caused. Fortunately you were able to fulfill his need for transportation. Prayers for you both.

good going, signe. you are inspiring for all of us.

Last edited:
Guess another Wednesday is here. Spent some time in the pool. My eye doctor canceled my appointment tomorrow to discuss corrective surgery. I’ll see him the week before Thanksgiving.

A dreary day in Ohio today expecting a cold front to come through and temperatures to drop into the 40's. We took advantage of mild weather yesterday and went hiking in towner woods in Kent. Trees still have pretty colors
20191030_165249_001.jpg
20191030_165202_001.jpg

Severe winds here in the west. Most of the trees have blown their leaves.

I’ve been in a rough spot with the ALS lately. My voice is becoming progressively less intelligible which is frustrating. Swallowing is more difficult and I’m grateful for my G tube. The past several days, I needed to be rescued off my lift chair with the Hoyer. It’s a whole new ballgame when the Hoyer enters the picture. We just bought special risers to elevate the lift chair by a few inches (they have to be specific to the make of chair). They do help, and hopefully that buys me a little extra time before I’m fully Hoyer-dependent. The sling lives on the lift chair now, just in case. We also put the shower-commode chair on the highest setting, and I can still get off the toilet with some effort for the time being.
Meanwhile we’re interviewing a couple more prospective caregivers next week.

Back