PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Here in Daytona Beach Shores it only hit 72 today! Yesterday was 84 with pool water 87. Today I wore a sweatshirt to try a morning walk. It was windy at the beach and with the plantar fasciitis or whatever it is, my walk was less than 1/2 mile.

Now, tomorrow will warm up again, then.........cold on Monday and Tuesday. The condo stays warm because I have triple pane windows. I'll still wear sweats and a t-shirt.

Nikki, I wear those puffy Lands End vests during cooler months. That's usually enough with jeans or sweats. Our highs in Jan/Feb are 68-71 and our lows can get pretty cold, but rarely below freezing. When I traveled, I had real Winter clothes. I've gradually given them away after the notion of going back to the Adirondacks, for a visit, no longer appeals to me. What would I do? Ski? Skate? Fall on my A$$. Yup.

Stay safe and warm everyone.

I love winter too! I’m actually hoping to get one more good snowboarding trip out of this slowly weakening body, but I need the ski resorts to actually open this season for that to happen. Not sure that’s a smart move for me but as Kim knows, I stubbornly push myself more than I should. And if I find that my legs just can’t take it anymore, I will be happy sending the kids off and then watching the snow from the condo, and reading a book (or watching football)

Hey, Eric. Go for it! When your legs get too weak, check out Steve's "adaptive skiing video." It's buried in stories of hope thread but it's great to watch. PS: I climbed a ladder yesterday.......just sayin'

Eric if you go snowboarding we definitely want pictures for inspiration.
Kim, good for you just be careful.
My condo up here has an elevator but I'm still able to use the stairs to the second floor. My big test is going to be at the McKinley monument. Its 102 steps up and another 102 steps down. I did it last year if I can still do it this year I'll be happy. Supposed to warm up towards the end of next week so I I'll see how it goes.

Not a lover of winter so we're planning our return to Tucson. Have to drive (dog, PWC and van),so a bit nervous about exposure to covid along the way. Had my PEG surgery Thursday--went well and am home recovering. I won't need it for food for a while, a long while I hope. A bit uncomfortable/painful when I bend, reach, cough, etc. Anyone with experience who can give me an idea how long that lasts? All the best for Halloween. We're supposed to have 60's later this week, unusual for Iowa in November.

Ed

Glad you got the tube Ed. From my sister’s experience and other reports I have read about a week for pain. It is usually worse and lasts longer for PALS than others who get tubes apparently but it will get better

yes, a week is about it.

Good to hear the tube deal is behind you, Ed.

Thought I would check-in today as it has been a few weeks.

To celebrate election day in the USA, I decided to have a root canal. 'Oh, happy days!!' Actually, it went very smoothly. I woke up this morning with minimal pain and as I type this I have not had to take any additional pain meds today. This all started about two weeks ago when the pain woke me up three nights in a row. Just had to wait for the VA to set up a community appointment to get it fixed as they do not have Endo services at the KC VAMC.

I am having issues with my right ankle that I fractured 50 years ago. Unfortunately, it never healed right, becoming a constant source of issues. I probably should have had it surgically repair several years ago. This time the issue started slowly but progressed to the point where the ankle would lock-up to the point I could not put any weight on it with the 'lock-up' lasting 4 to 5 hours with a pain level of 11. Finally saw a podiatrist on Monday and was fitted with a brace and orthotic inserts for stabilization. So far, so good as the pain associated with the ankle has decreased.

Otherwise, we continue to progress slowly and are ops normal in the heartland. (Time for another G&T).

That's a lot, Dave. I'm glad the root canal went well and the ankle pain has gone down.

I continue to do well. We went to Denver (200 mile round trip) today to pick up the Permobil F5 wheelchair that has been in the shop for over a month getting repairs. There are still issues with it, but we brought it home so that I can hopefully go on a test ride tomorrow to see if some of the most critical issues were addressed.

I have owned that wheelchair for over 2 months and it has been unusable the whole time. I am really looking forward to getting it fixed!

Steve

Back