PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Happy holidays to all. It’s been an emotional couple of months. I now see weekly decline as opposed to the slower decline I’ve had the past 2 years. Losing my independence is difficult because I’ve prided myself being 4’9 and being stronger and more able than some men. I’ve been an EMT, ER tech and nurse at a very busy floor of a trauma hospital. I loved helping others. And now I can’t do anything. It’s a big change.

I hope everyone who celebrates Christmas had the best Christmas possible. For those who don't celebrate Christmas, I hope you have had and are having a very happy holiday season!

I continue to do as well as I can. We are enjoying the winter snows, which make things so beautiful. So far this season we have received 100 inches of snow (about 8 feet, or about 2.5 meters). We certainly had a white christmas!

I seem to transitioning to using the bipap more, and have been testing out a nasal pillow that does not obstruct my mouth during the day. That allows me to talk to my wife a bit during the day and seems to be working well, so far. I still us a mask that covers my mouth at night.

I went on a short wheelchair ride in my four wheel drive wheelchair a few days ago. The temperatures were a bit warmer and we had a blue sky day. It was glorious!

Steve

Snow, Snow and more Snow this morning we woke up to about 8” and still coming dow. These days really make me miss my abilit. I would be out plowing snow with the 4 wheeler before daylight and follow up with the snowblower.
Today my son will get to enjoy the process along with my wife.We really need the moisture though and it’s supposed to go below zero next week.
@swalker I bet Vail is getting busy with ski activities and snowboarding.
‘Hope you all have a great day.
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for thinking of me SteveO. Yes, it is winter in Vail and it has been quite a busy place.

Many people celebrated Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year here. Now, we are inundated with folks for the Martin Luther King Holiday.

Our winter season started off with a pretty typical amount of snow. The snow really slowed down between Christmas and the Near Year. Since New Year's day, we have received a series of storms that are bringing us back up to normal. Before today, we had received about 140 inches of snow, which is probably not far off from what is typical for this point in the season.

This morning, my wife measured 19 inches on the deck before she started shovelling it. I so wish that I could help. That is a lot of snow and we have a pretty big deck. The wheelchair van lives outside (too tall for the garage), so she had to shovel around that as well.

We are in the middle of our second major winter storm in the last 4 days. This storm is expected to last until tomorrow evening. More snow is expected as the week unfolds.

I continue to do well, though am using the bipap more and get more fatigued during the day.

My wife, a physical therapist, has observed some spasticity in my lower legs, which, while tolerable, is inconvenient and uncomfortable. Oddly enough, having my legs tighten up makes it a bit easier to stand.

Steve

Back