PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Speaking of age, I turned 79 in December, so am in my 80th year! I’m hoping old age takes me first. Wish me luck!

Hubby just turned 88. Except for a morning caregiver who gets me washed, dressed and ROM, he does everything, even the yard; he is the last of the block to mow his own lawn. I chose well…… :)

@KimT I had a friend over for the first time in over a year too! We sat on my back porch and talked for 2 hours while our two littlest kids played. (7 & 10). It was so good for my soul. But I also totally understand feeling overwhelmed. I had a bit of social anxiety through the whole thing. LOL. Also, I am so sorry that you are related to the “former guy”. Maybe there’s still a chance you were adopted? 🤣

Otherwise, we’ve been experiencing some really nice weather here in central California. It’s been in the high 70’s all week.

I get my second vaccine tomorrow. I’m a little worried about how I’m going to feel, especially so close to Easter...I didn’t time that very good LOL

Don't worry Tipping, reaction only lasted a day after for me. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones that has no side effects.🤞

Hate that damn spell check. Should have read Tippi not tipping.

Happy Birthday @KevinM !!!

So it's an exciting day today...Opening Day⚾🙌:D My Cleveland Indians lost to Detroit. :(
Now, there's some strange weather happening today-SNOW! This is not an April Fool's joke. And not just a few flakes but ground covering, measurable snow. Gotta love Spring time in Ohio.

I'm pretty much the same. My biggest concern is needing trained transfer help to toilet throughout the day. We are contemplating how to proceed when our son graduates in May, moves out at some point, and then can't help out on weekends and after aides leave while my husband works. We are both only 56, but he is thinki g he will have to quit his job in order to cover my needs. I don't feel my condition is so severe at this time to necessitate this move. We don't know what other options there are except more caregivers which costs more money out of our pocket. We have several good friends plus my mother who help as best they can, but they are older and not capable of transfering me from pwc to toilet/bedside commode. Have other spouses ended their careers at this point for full-time caregiving?

I almost forgot...Our trip west to Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone is almost planned!!! :D Due to college graduation, we can't leave until Monday thus cutting our trip shorter than hoped. Only one week allowed for our two adult children and husband to be gone from work.

Glad to hear from everyone!!!

TL,
Just remember what my Mayo care team said: If you have a reaction, it just means you have a strong immune system. For those who don't have reactions, they said it just takes a little longer to build immunity. I was in bed with a low-grade fever for a day. Felt a little tired the next day but not enough to keep me from getting a haircut!

We are going to see the grandchildren over the weekend. My son’s in-laws invite us to stay with them. They are wonderfully kind people who bought a ramp so I could get in the house and allow us to use their first-floor bedroom. ❤️
It’s about six hours each way so too far for a day-trip, but fine for a long weekend.

Kim, glad you had a good visit with the girls. 😀

Kevin, I noticed I never actually wished you a happy birthday in my previous post. Happy Birthday!

Steve

OK, this might be the two beers talking (that I just had after returning home from a long day at the ALS clinic), but I really love everyone on this forum! You are all just so kind, helpful, and interesting.

Hi friends - Just a quick check-in for me because I am in Mammoth Lakes, CA which means I’m away from my computer and I find it difficult to type on the iPad. Enjoyed a fun day of snowboarding with my kids today. Beautiful spring weather. I’m really pushing myself because I suspect this is the last season on the mountain for me, at least using my own legs. So I’m squeezing all the juice out of this lemon and still riding, for now!

Kevin - Happy Birthday! I hope you force yourself to enjoy the day.
Steve and Cathy - Very envious of your Yellowstone plans. I’ve never been,
Kim- I’m just laughing at your new family revelation. I’m sure you dont find it amusing, but for some reason I do. It’s just so absurd. Maybe these ancestry things are TMI. (This also means you’re also related to Ivanka 😆🤮)

Eric, Hope you're having a great time with family on the slopes. I remember the free feeling of sailing down Whiteface each Winter.

Perhaps I can use the family revelation to write a book :LOL::eek: The Art of the Feel? I have ALS and I'm Fired? My Summer at Mar a Lago?

Bill- so happy to hear you'll be spending time with your grandkids this weekend.
Cathy- hang in there, things have a way of working out.
Steve- sounds like an adventure you'll be having soon.
Fusia- back at you, this forum is like a second family.
Eric- snowboarding 👏👍sounds like fun. We want to check out zip lining to see if my legs can still handle it.
Kim-🤔 not sure how to process that one, although you'd be a hit in my redneck neighborhood where Trump flags are still flying with some new editions. I saw a flag that said Trump in 2024 🤯 and a new sign that says " Biden isn't my president, he stole it. 😳

Happy to see more and more returning to a somewhat normal life for many.

" and a new sign that says " Biden isn't my president, he stole it"

Lisa, I wonder if all these "Trumpers" will return the stimulus money
they have or will receive PRESIDENT BIDEN got passed...
including them, for them.

(I live in the Red Neck Capitol of the country. Down some of our
rural roads are very old single wide mobile homes, old cars,
trucks, some missing wheels, piles of junk and then several Trump
signs by the road, big Trump flags hanging off their trailers.)

Wanna bet everyday they were looking for their President Biden
money? :)

Edit: Oh yea, not to leave out these folks. I live in an area that
has huge expensive homes, huge ranches with horses and their
homes are like mansions. A few famous people have homes
in this area. Richard Petty has a home within a half mile from
me… a big republican.

And… they too (not all) have Trump signs on their front lawns,
hanging off their white fences surrounding their estates or
ranches, Trump flags on tall flag poles just below the American
flag. One guy has put up four flag poles with fhree different
Trump flags and one... "I am a police supporter." Accept for
the capital police I guess.

I just don’t get it.

Last edited:
I hear you Al, I didn't hear any complaints getting their stimulus checks! Nice to know I'm not the only one living next to the ones living in fantasy land. I told my husband that I'd love to pull the signs and flags down. Unfortunately I can't run anymore so I'd probably get caught. So for now I just shake my head in bewilderment.

Hi all - I'm usually one of the last to report in because I'm Pacific time zone and I don't usually do this until the evening, so this time I'm jumping in after midnight for Eastern/Central time zones (and therefore technically Wednesday for most you).

Back from the mountains - we all had a good time. Nice 'spring skiing' weather. I can still beat 2 of my 3 teenage sons down the mountain on my snowboard (middle boy is too fast), which heartens my spirit. Riding down the mountain makes me forget, at least for a while, the dreaded 3 letters. In the resort gift shop, none of the T-shirts were appealing to me, and then I saw it - a Mammoth logo 'zipper pull'. It's the size of a dime, with a hook. Previously I would've looked right past it, but it occurred to me that I could really use this now. My left hand is still strong enough to work a zipper, but for how long? And it was cheaper than the T-shirts, so that's what I got!

My mother -- a healthy and energetic 76-year old woman -- had dental surgery today, and I needed to pick her up and take her home because she was totally out of it from the sedatives they gave her. She could hardly walk, so I had to hold and guide her to the car and then into her house and to the bed. As I was holding her from the car, I had a scary moment as my arm weakened and cramped and I had to make a quick adjustment. It occurred to me how ironic that to any observer I was the young, strong one in this situation, but in reality it's exactly the opposite. So strange.

I get my second Covid shot on Thursday (Moderna), and I've already blocked off Friday as Eric's "sick day" -- no appointments or anything else -- planning to just be in bed. And if I feel fine, screw it, I'm taking the day off anyway.

Hope everyone had a nice Easter or Passover or even just a good week.

Last edited:
Back