PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Aaron,

You're so brave to drive those super-fast cars. I'm anxious enough just driving my honda civic during heavier traffic times here in MT!

I am reading so many books and re-reading ones I have loved. I'm also preparing to go on a month-long trip to the United Kingdom to spend time with my beloved and their family and see that "Side of the pond", try the food, see the cathedrals in Coventry, and visit an Island on an all-day ferry and see all kinds of museums.

I know ALS is horrible, but at least it pushes a person to live life and pursue dreams to the best they can.

- Joanna

I am here and I apologize for the lack of postings. I am so grateful to everyone here and people who are devoted to helping, sharing information. If not for this, I would be truly more bereft.

Joanna,

I got pretty lucky with my job last year and got to spend a couple months in Germany/Belgium/France and got to do so much fun stuff. Really good memories and I know your going to have a great time!

Right now I’m making videos for each family member basically saying all the things I never said etc. Not sure when I’ll distribute them but I’ll be happy to have at least made them. I’m also planning to write a bunch of short stories of wild things that have happened to me in my life. Just a small snippet of one: when I was deployed to Dubai as a liaison to the Emirates I rode with a local in his Bentley while he hung a piece of meat out the window and raced his pet cheetah.

By “travel” I mean by tv or computer. Have been house bound for several years now. Watching the Tour de France on tv/computer is like taking a road trip; I almost feel like I’m right there. Great fun. We did a lot of traveling before the ALS. Years ago, we happened to be in Paris when tour started and watched it on tv we when returned home and got hooked.

The Tour coverage is always wonderful- sport history, amazing panning shots of the scenery, phenomenal crowd shots, anecdotes about the history of the area they're riding through, gossip about the teams, plus the thread of commentary about the race as it's unfolding. It's such a great escape. I enjoy the coverage too!

Hi from Sydney, Australia. 7 weeks UK and Europe, home just over a week with Covid for the first few days, then flew alone to Australia. Got others to help with my bag which I tried to keep as light as possible. Staying with a friend and attending a conference and presenting a couple of papers, possibly for my last time. Having a great time seeing people and being at a conference again after a couple of years of being stuck in NZ. Finding stairs a bit harder, and sitting a little painful after a while assume because my bottom muscles are disappearing. A little tired early this week, but hoping that is post-Covid.

That story about summoning the cheetah with a piece of meat hanging off the Bentley is wild! Here in LA, the 'cheetahs' are inside the Bentleys. I don't have any stories that are quite that interesting, but here's a couple I do have: I was visiting my family in Israel in the early 80s, which were the early days of the Israel-Lebanon war when the militias in Lebanon were being funded and supplied by the Soviets. My family lives in Northern Israel, and the Israelis were capturing Soviet tanks just on the other side of the border and transporting them back to Israel so we saw the hammer-and-sickle tanks driving next to us on the highway which was crazy. The second one - my girlfriend (and future wife) and I went to Pamplona, Spain to run with the bulls in the mid-90s. Well, she was never gonna actually run with the bulls it but I thought I would. I chickened out at the last minute and we hopped onto the base of a church steeple in the middle of the crowd and watched the bulls run right by us. We actually did a lot of traveling (much of it with our kids) before this misery hit me a few years ago. I'm glad we did, though I'm still working in trips while I can still get around on these two legs. British Columbia is next week. Never been.

Hi folks, still doing pretty good, waiting for a reply to my application for a nursing home placement.my wife has been my primary care giver for 8 years now and she needs a rest, Iam confined to a wheelchair now and she still has to help me in and out of bed, prepare all my meds and assist me with toileting and prepare my meals but I still look forward to tomorrow
Al

Hi folks, still in the fight
Al

Hi all. Been a bit stressful this week as my wife had major (4 hours) pelvic floor surgery yesterday. The surgeon was exceptional and said it could not have gone any better. Tough night in the hospital last night, but felt much better this morning and was discharged by noon.

Naturally she’s tired today with a very low grade fever but the pain is manageable, and she’s able to walk around fine. Thankfully, I am still mobile so I can help her, which is a main reason we wanted to have the surgery done now.
Best, Kevin

I hope she is feeling better. I am sure it is a relief to have that over with.

Two more ladies from my card group have Covid. One is vaccinated and boosted, the other is not. I haven't played with the group since before Covid (except for a short time after I got vaccinated.)

I do play most Sundays at a friend's condo with just her and another friend. Both are very careful, boosted twice, and would never play if they had any symptoms or exposure.

For those of us without families, this pandemic has been especially hard. I really have no desire to go out to eat but it is exhausting.

Checking in this hot Wednesday. My time in Ohio is winding down, we'll be returning to Florida in 2 weeks.

Today I spent time with Cathy. For those of you that remember her she posted here under the name blitzc. She asked me to say hello to everyone and that she misses the interaction with everyone. She also asked me to pass on that she's holding on the best she can. We had a good visit.

Back