PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Happy New Year to everyone.

I am sorry to read of the recent difficulties some are facing, especially those who have been exposed to covid or have missed out on family gatherings due to covid.

We have been isolating here. Covid has taken off and the infection rate has exploded. Before last week, the greatest number of new cases in a day was 71 (in September 2021). Starting last week, we have had 2 days with over 300 new cases, 3 days with over 200 new cases, and another 3 days with over 100 new cases. In the last two weeks we have had just under 2,000 new cases for our county, which only has a population of about 54,000 people. In other words, almost 4 percent of the residents of our county have come down with covid in the last two weeks. Since Covid started, over 20% of our county residents have had Covid, so 4% in 2 weeks is a huge jump.

Those numbers only represent the residents of our county. I live in a resort area and we have many visitors this time of year. For example, my town normally has a population of about 5,000 people. Over Christmas, our population swells to about 50,000 if you count all the overnight visitors. So, there are undoubtedly many more cases of covid than the figures above indicate.

In other news, many may be aware of the terrible fires in Boulder county, which is about 100 miles to the east of us and just north of Denver. When a major storm comes in from the west, the Denver area (the Front Range) can get very high winds, sometimes exceeding 100 miles per hour. Yesterday, there were gusts of up to 110 miles per hour with sustained winds of 50 miles per hour. These high winds apparently damaged power lines which sparked and ignited the dry brush in the area. The resulting fires burned through the towns of Superior and Louisville, destroying over 600 homes and many commercial buildings yesterday.

The fires also damaged some of the energy infrastructure, which caused for rolling blackouts throughout the state and especially in the mountains near where we live. We received an alert about 9:00 PM last night telling us to prepare for rolling blackouts.

We have backup power for the bipap, but not for the other medical equipment I need (hospital bed, cough assist, etc.). We scurried a bit to make sure we had appropriate backups power ready to go, but turned out to not need it, as they never cut off power to our house. Still, it made for a bit of a tense night waiting for the power to go out.

We had a great Christmas and celebrated our 37th anniversary this week.

Steve

Wish you all a Happy New Year in spite of Covid and ALS.

Bill

I Am doing good. GA family over for new yrs day . We had close to30. It was a blessed day

Hope everyone is doing as well as possible. We are having our first significant snow of this season. They originally forecast 3-6 then 6-8 now 6-12 inches. hopefully on the lower end but there is a fair amount already and it is snowing heavily. At times like this I am happy I don’t work. A happy side effect is that a lot of schools closed which will give a long weekend to regroup from all the covid issues

stay safe everyone

Damn, Nikki, here I am complaining about how chilly our day is today in N FL. Only reached 59. Actually, I would like to see snow again at least one more time. I know it’s a pain for most folks, but it sure is beautiful when it’s falling. And everything gets quieter with a blanket of fresh snow.

Pleased to report that I came from my primary care appointment today, and my weight is holding steady since last year. Also BP is great and my O2 sat level is 99%. Holding my own for now. Best, Kevin

Isn’t it great to be so healthy? As I said to my pcp I am fine except for this pesky little neuro issue.
it is almost done now but an hour ago they reported 13 inches. I can’t tell from here because they have been diligently plowing the parking lot since it started. This was about 8 am
DB1F68F9-5E37-4FA6-84A8-ABAD528F1C5D.jpeg

Nikki, there is nothing quite like Boston in a major snowstorm. I have been there and done that too many times!

Steve

Not sure this is quite major but it peaked for am rush hour so very disruptive. As a sign of the times the usual warnings about being cautious with shoveling if you have cardiac risk factors and not putting your hand into snowblower blades were phrased as the hospitals are too busy don’t add to their burden not just you do want an MI or amputated fingers.

Today is 20 F but very sunny

Nikki, your photo reminds me how grateful I am to live in CA. :)

Boy am I glad the holidays are over. Each year gets harder. I started 2021 with FRS-R of 27 and ended with 13, so clearly in the home stretch. Sad, because Covid is changing our society in so many ways [reminds me of WWII] and I won’t be around to see how it turns out...

More Boston weather. Currently 9F windchill -9 F. I do love Boston but I envy you in warmer climates right now 😀

Damn, that’s brutally cold, Nikki. I think I mentioned in a post a while back that our daughter went to UMass on a rowing scholarship, and loved her time in Amherst and her many trips to Boston to visit friends.

My wife and I loved our trips to Boston while she was there but it was usually in the fall for the Head of the Charles regatta. She did not enjoy rowing practice on the Connecticut River at 6:30 am in February and early March dodging ice chunks.

I'll refrain from telling you the temps in Tucson. Having spent many winters in Iowa I feel your discomfort. We just got a new dog. terrier mix rescue. Always had bigger dogs but my wife isn't up to managing one, so this one is on the small side. Very affectionate and energetic. Needs some training--we don't know her history.

Ed

Glad to hear about your new addition to the family, Ed. So happy for you.

Haven’t heard from some folks in a bit, so hoping to hear from as many as possible. Bill (wmilo), I’ve been thinking of you lately and hope you are able to check in.

Back