PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

Hi folks, all is good here, I think winter has passed and that is good, I have been unable to get out much due to weather but the scooter is ready and so am I so first nice day out I go. Today is not that day, today is dentist day, O how I dislike going to the dentist, I didn’t like it before ALS and I like even less now. The dentist and the hygienist are fine and they do there best to treat someone in a wheelchair, but I still dislike it immensely. The hygienist try’s to treat me in the wheelchair but it is still not pleasant. Enough about that, going to have all the family over Sunday for dinner, that will be very enjoyable. Enough said for now, a very merry spring to all, and to all a good day.
Al

Firefighter, I feel for you. I saw my dentist yesterday. The hygienist was very careful and gentle with me. What surprised me the most was the spasticity in my lips when I tried to seal them around the suction catheter. The fun never stops with ALS.

Still hanging around with nothing new to report.

Ray

Hoping it is a good Wednesday for most. The sun is shining today and the temp is in the 50s. I feel like being a weather cheerleader. “ c’mon you can do it! 60! 60! 60!”

Nothing new here. Spring flowers (daffodils, squill, some early tulips) in full bloom, though still waiting for some really warm weather. Our local ALSA chapter had a local University comm. dept put on a 3 hour hands-on demo of communication devices, both high and low tech. Very useful, tho I can still speak and use a keyboard, but who knows how long.

Ed

Beautiful day today. Hope all is well.

watched movie, the green book, enjoyed

just finished but book, educated, on audible, excellent

any recommendations?

I am doing well.

I was able to ski last week and this week and had a great time each outing. I have to rely on others for pictures, so don't have any to share just yet. Hopefully I will get some pictures soon so I can share them.

It usually takes two weeks to recover from a ski outing. I pushed things a bit and for the last 3 ski outings only allowed one week to recover. That is clearly not enough, but was worth it. The ski area closes on Sunday, so my opportunities to ski this season are over. I was able to get out 5 times, which is one time more than the 4 days I skied last year.

I am still limited to just skiing six runs, or, as I like to think about it, I can still ski six runs in a day. What a joy!

My older sister is visiting this week and we have had a great time. I can't believe that tomorrow is her last full day. She heads home on Friday and I will miss her.

Steve

Good news here! We put in an offer in on a condo. It is all one level except for a bonus room upstairs for our college enrolled son who will be living with us for two more years. There is a small step, not even a whole step, into the house. It is newer and needs just a few small things to move in. We plan to take out the existing shower and have a handicapped accessible walk in shower.
We have 90 days to sell our house. Prayers for a quick sale. It has been up for 7 weeks so far with just a few showings. The realtor is not concerned...says it is just early. Things are getting busier now.

As for me, my blood pressure went sky high. I've been having severe headaches and feeling awful for about 2-3 months. So it makes sense. Now on blood pressure medication Norvasc (spelling?). Only problem now is I am having lots of foot and ankle swelling. My PCP is thinking this is a side effect to the BP med. Giving this a little time to see if things become better or worse.

As for books, haven't read much this winter. I did read My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg- a Christmas gift from my son. Next one he gave me but haven't started is Faith by Jimmy Carter. It is much shorter than the Ginsburg one. I am ready for summer to start something good...like Kristina's fantasy novel she is writing. I hope she gets it done!!!!

Happy Spring Everyone!
Cathy

Cathy, You'll love Faith. Jimmy Carter is such a wonderful, faith-filled human being. I haven't read RBG's book but it is on my list. I actually only do audible books now because reading has bothered my neck for quite a few years and I love the freedom of being able to move around listening to audible books. I bought wireless headphones so I don't need to be tethered to my iPhone to listen. I'm praying your house will sell quickly. Glad you found a new place!

Kay, I watched the Green Book a couple of weeks ago. Liked it a lot. Also listened to Educated and loved it. Just started Shortest Way Home by Mayor Pete. I'm a sucker for romance so I've read all of Nicholas Sparks' books. I just finished The Lucky One and, as usual, enjoyed it. Also enjoyed Before We Were Yours (Audible.)

I also loved Green Book.

Another great recent movie was “A Star Is Born” with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

Cathy — Norvasc can definitely cause edema.

Is educated the one about the girl who never went to school until college?

Cathy, Yes.

I loved a Star is Born. I think it was my favorite remake.

Is it Wednesday? Hmmm, I guess not. That never stopped me from post before, so why should it now;-)?

The ski area closed last Sunday. I had my last day of skiing the Wednesday before. I have been in recovery mode since then, interrupted by various activities.

The lithium upgrade to the X4 wheelchair is still going well. It has been fun riding that wheelchair with its extended range.

I have continued the effort to get insurance to fund some of the items on my next wheelchair. We are five months into the process and sometimes it seems we are no closer to the end than we were when we started.

My primary wheelchair is still out of commission. I have yet another appointment at NuMotion in Denver to have it looked at, this time by the regional Permobil representative. I am optimistic that there is simply some electrical component that has failed or that someone has set some parameters incorrectly. I am really looking forward to getting that fully operational in time for our spring trip to Yellowstone, as the replacement wheelchair is very unlikely to be here in time.

My god daughter turns 8 tomorrow and I am looking forward to going to her birthday party. She is a cutie and is growing up way too fast.

I just received a notice that we are under a major winter storm watch with up to 20 inches expected in higher elevations. Since our ski area is closed, I kind of hope it misses us:). Usually, I like snow, but am almost ready for spring.

Steve

Back