PALS chat thread ( PALS only please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard from an ALS doc that the average age of on-set is 50-60. He said that’s the largest group in his clinic. Im surprised and thankful to have had health so much longer (DX at 71). I’ve traveled the world, was already retired with a pension, on Medicare with supplemental insurance, had moved across country to be by family and my grandkids are almost adults. Still this stinks.

Luckily, I signed up for long term health care 21 years ago after my mom died. I never thought I’d need it! LOL. Still, for months I put off initiating the process of applying for coverage due to the fear of being told I didn’t yet have the need for substantial help with two ADLs (my policy’s requirement). When the investigator came out she said I had four! Thank you John Hancock! I now have a great aide coming 2 hours, Mon-Fri. What a relief! It has made such a big difference.

I enjoy other PALs travel stories and pictures but happy to stay comfortable here at home. Summer is good! Love memories of France!!! Thanks for the picture, Signe, and enjoy!

Greetings Signe, What lovely ladies😊! Such a beautiful picture. How wonderful to share every moment together making lasting memories. May the weather be perfect; you get to see everything you hoped to, and travel without hindrance. May blessings abound. B. 😎

Doglady,

I applied for LTC insurance in my late 40s and again in my 50s. I was denied because of a heart arrhythmia and clinical depression. I tried to find a company that would insure me, excluding those two conditions, with no luck.

You sound like you have all your ducks in order and that's such a stress reducer. You can relax and enjoy your family and friends.

I did a fair amount of traveling, mostly in my 20s and 30s. I'm so glad I did because I really have no desire to travel. I'm happy where I live and it is very convenient. But I do love seeing PALS/CALS and friends travel.

At some point I will have to have home health care. I'm not there yet. Unfortunately, my housemate has some pretty serious health issues, too. He is always telling me I'll outlast him.

John Hancock did right by my sister too. The intake nurse , once she heard ALS, greenlighted everything. A certain amount of the benefit was available for minor home mods too. I have yet to test them myself

Just heard from an ALS doc that the average age of on-set is 50-60. He said that’s the largest group in his clinic. Im surprised and thankful to have had health so much longer (DX at 71). I’ve traveled the world, was already retired with a pension, on Medicare with supplemental insurance, had moved across country to be by family and my grandkids are almost adults. Still this stinks.

Luckily, I signed up for long term health care 21 years ago after my mom died. I never thought I’d need it! LOL. Still, for months I put off initiating the process of applying for coverage due to the fear of being told I didn’t yet have the need for substantial help with two ADLs (my policy’s requirement). When the investigator came out she said I had four! Thank you John Hancock! I now have a great aide coming 2 hours, Mon-Fri. What a relief! It has made such a big difference.

I enjoy other PALs travel stories and pictures but happy to stay comfortable here at home. Summer is good! Love memories of France!!! Thanks for the picture, Signe, and enjoy!
Just getting home now, so tired out but even happier that I went. I would encourage everyone to go while they can. Signe

Thank you I did the best I could
Greetings Signe, What lovely ladies😊! Such a beautiful picture. How wonderful to share every moment together making lasting memories. May the weather be perfect; you get to see everything you hoped to, and travel without hindrance. May blessings abound. B. 😎
[/QUOTE
Thank you, I did my best, saw most everything I wanted to. Very tiring but worth it.

Hey everyone! My dad and brothers are here helping remodel the bathroom. we needed to retile anyway (old house, tiles were falling out!) so now they are adding lots of handrails and what not. the bathroom has been very difficult for me and ive fallen in there several times so im really excited about the changes!

Kristina- So glad your family is so handy and making the bathroom improvements you need. Falls are not good! Good luck on everything and hope you'll post some pictures later. :cool:

Yes! I'll definitely post pics when its done. I wish we'd thought to take before photos of the shower. Tiles were broken and falling out. There was so much mold damage behind the tiles that they had to tear down the drywall and sand down the wood planks behind. Thy even replaced pipes. Basically the shower is being rebuilt!

Fantastic so happy for you, it's great your family are handy with the rebuilding. Yes post photos. Congratulations

A freshly remodeled bathroom is a delight. I’m excited for you.

I've never posted pictures of me before...so here it goes.
Here are a few from our Alaska cruise.
Pictures are with my husband on board having our first of many wonderful drinks, in Ketchikan, and Hoonah Alaska.
IMG_1766.jpg IMG_1770.jpg IMG_1797.jpg

Great pictures Cathy, looks like you had a good time

Great photos, Alaska is on my list yet. Hope to get there yet. So happy for you.

Signe, you should take a cruise. I can only speak for our experience, but Norwegian Cruise Lines was exceptionally accommodating for me in a wheelchair. Every place we went on board, staff were there to help my husband and I with anything we needed. Our stateroom was ADA fully accessible with no extra charge. We only had one hiccup upon departure from the ship when there was no handicapped accessible transportation to the airport available.
We had excursion choices that I could easily attend. The cruise arranged special transportation for me at each stop. I saw almost everything any guest would like to see. No hiking or kayaking though!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back