PALS chat thread ( PALS only please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have tigers in India. I was on a nature park safari just one year before diagnosis.
this beauty walked right in front of our jeep.sadly they are a very endangered species.
i love all cats so much, big and small.

I am retiring in 3 more days. My dream upon retiring has been to retrace the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery Expedition. As a teacher, I have taught the story of Sacagawea and the Expediton for a number of years. I was born in Oregon and have no memories of it but was also hoping to return to my birthplace. All of these pictures make me so jealous of Idaho2790 and Karen. Keep sending the pictures...it's better than having no idea of the sights.

Cathy

Cathy, congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

Cathy, Sacajawea ‘s birthplace is only 18 miles from our house! Isn’t too bad that our diagnosis is the same month and year? If that wasn’t the case, I would invite you to come and stay! Even the way it is, if you and your caregiver would like to make the trip, would love to have you! We leave to go back to Idaho next week. I will take pictures of the Sacajawea Center in Salmon and send them to you. Enjoy your retirement!

I was born and raised in a tiny Village in the Adirondack mountains of Upstate NY. The seasons were stunning there, especially Fall. Second picture is drone photo of the leaves changing and first picture, with the lake in the background, is my first cousin's grandchildren. I lived on the lake for 22 years and hiked most of the mountains in the picture.

Attachments

• 61499671_3265731756785885_7067178779294040064_o.jpg
    61499671_3265731756785885_7067178779294040064_o.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 45928965932_d465ce0852_b.jpg
    45928965932_d465ce0852_b.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 319
I was born and raised in a tiny Village in the Adirondack mountains of Upstate NY. The seasons were stunning there, especially Fall. Second picture is drone photo of the leaves changing and first picture, with the lake in the background, is my first cousin's grandchildren. I lived on the lake for 22 years and hiked most of the mountains in the picture.
Those pictures are amazing! I have only been in upstate New York once on a genealogy trip for Carl’s family. We were in Potsdam where his grandfather was born. Beautiful area there too! It’s fun to see these and that great picture of the tiger in India!

Yesterday was a full day for me....in a good way. I've had the same ladies (three of them) for pedicures and manicures for about 20 years. I watched them and their children grow up. Several from the salon were in my classes at the college. They always gave me extra time during the foot/leg massage. One of my students and her husband just opened a huge SPA. I drove over (about 10 miles) and had a pedi and mani. She gave me some gel nails on both fingers and toes in a pretty pink and lots of extra time on the foot massage.

I drank lots of water and took a Valium/tylenol/Magnesium combo and went to the mall. I was looking for new cotton PJs that were large and comfy. I ended up at Dillards and hit the pajama jackpot. Lots of boxer shorts and cotton t-tops in pretty colors. Two peddle pusher length cotton bottoms. By then the meds had kicked in so I drank more water and continued to another store. I was out for nearly four hours and probably walked at least one mile. I saw a purse that I wanted but passed it up. When I got home I had a condo finance committee. It ended early so I got back in my car and headed back to the mall for the purse. I could feel the burn in my legs and my pace was slow but mission accomplished.

I REALLY need to find better running shoes. I can't tell you how many brands/styles I've tried. I have a very narrow heal but need a large toe box. I'm also in between sizes and my left foot is a tad smaller than my right foot. I feel most stable in my five-year old Aesics but they narrowed the toe box on later models.

Congratulations Cathy on your retirement. I retired 3 years ago with 30 years in the USPS. Best decision I ever made. Now I get to spend my time doing what I want. My #1 passion is volunteering at a cat sanctuary doing adoptions and cuddling. I have started to trap strays and ferals and participate with the TNR (trap, neuter, release) program.

Enjoy your retirement.

Idaho2790...Wow so awesome about where you live in Idaho! Pre-ALS I would have loved that too, now I feel more comfortable living close to major medical centers. But we are a big nature and outdoors family, always have been, so all our vacations are to state or national parks.

Right after I was diagnosed we booked a trip to Yellowstone. I am SO DAMN GRATEFUL that we did, even though it wasn't really in our budget (we have 3 kids so airfare, lodging etc for 5 was a lot). At the time I was still walking just with reduced stamina and balance. We hiked all day every day with plenty of breaks and it was so incredible, it had been top of my bucket list and was so worth it. The following summer (last summer) I could no longer hike, which is why Im so grateful we just took the plunge with that trip, otherwise I never would have that opportunity again.

So last summer we took our jeep wrangler and drove 15 hours to the Smoky Mountains in NC/TN. I couldn't hike but they had tons off off-roading trails so we "hiked" by Jeep with the top off, making lots of stops to see anything we wanted along the way, I could still walk short distances being careful, I just couldn't actually hike or go on uneven terrain. It worked and was awesome too.

This year Im wheelchair bound outside the house and it's been tricky finding accessible paths, especially since we cant use the Jeep due to wheelchair. So this year we are sticking close to home and rented a cabin in the White Mountains (NH). We'll see how it goes!

Hi everyone. Do we want to keep the chat thread going?

The format is a little different from PALS check in. The point here is to encourage more back and forth dialogue on any topic you want. We’ve discussed topics such as swimming, wildlife near our home, things we like about spring.

Now we’re in summer. With climate change effects more apparent, I’m finding I have a different feeling about summer than I did up to several years ago. Now I fear heat waves, smoke, and the like. But there are still many things to enjoy. What things are you are all enjoying about summer?

Last edited:
Thanks Karen. You read my mind I thought of this yesterday but didn’t act on ot!

I love summer. Mostly I keep the windows open even in the high 80s. We are heading for 98 this weekend so I will be trying out the ac instead. There is a well maintained flat and firm walking trial literally across the street. If I don’t have to go out anywhere I use my daily energy to walk along it a bit. Lots of birds and a colony of rabbits. I also usually meet a dog walker or two and stop for a chat and petting ( do NOT tell my cat)

Even in Florida, I like Summer best. I've been busy trying to stay as active as possible but my endurance for just about everything is slowing down. I have no desire to travel. I did that when I was healthy.

I had to stop watching the news. I think it helped my mood.

I take Ace to the dog park once in awhile. I have to wait until evening because of the heat but the park has lots of shade trees.

I find it hard to go to the beach even though it's just steps from my condo. I ran on the beach for years and I'm just not satisfied sitting and watching other people having fun. Maybe if I had kids with children it would be different.

Kim, is your pool open 24/7?

Things about summer I Iove: :love:
  • Lemonade
  • Sitting outside in the morning and late into the evening
  • Everything on the grill
  • Fresh fruit always available
  • Flowers in the garden
Things about summer I dearly miss: 😢
  • Hikes
  • Long walks in the morning
  • Walks on the beach (on vacation)
  • Vegetable gardening (with my dear cats following me around)
  • Fresh vegetables from the garden

I am also wondering if we could start a game up again like last summer when we had the word game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back