PALS chat thread ( PALS only please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes Kim. I hope you get this resolved soon.

I looked at the culture report and it's enterococcus. After that I decided to take the bidet toilet seat apart and clean it, then flush it out.

I looked back through me records and I've had leukocytes in my urine for two years. I think I need some new doctors. Both my primary care and urologist either ignored it or dismissed it. Daytona Beach is not known for good health care. I'll see what my GP recommends tomorrow. If I'm not satisfied, I'll go to Mayo in Jacksonville.

Vincent, you're so right.
Al

Im late to this but like how all the ladies are here! :)

Swimming- we have a family Y membership. One of the local branches has a therapy pool (basically a smaller pool with water heated a warm temp). My husband is planning to take me this week while kids are at school and take me in the water. I think it will be good for my muscles as I have a lot of stiffness and cramping and we want to do some passive ROM in the pool.

Only thing is my husband will need to change me out of my suit before we leave and I dont know if they have a private unisex changing room. We have this problem when we're out also if I need to go to the bathroom and I need his help but he's not supposed to come in a women's bathroom. It's frustrating searching for unisex restrooms.

So here’s my swimming/ swimsuit routine. I get into my swimsuit at home. My CALS helps. I’m wearing a t shirt and pull-off pants over the swimsuit. I bring a tote bag that contains 2 towels and a pair of underpants. There is an ADA changing room on the pool deck. However, the bench is too low (even with the grab bar) for me to use. I bring my power wheelchair. In the changing room, I can get my shoes and outer clothes off. My assistant puts them in the tote bag.

Then I wheel over to the hydraulic lift chair. I have a gait belt, and my assistant uses it to help me transfer to the hydraulic chair. Once I’m in the pool, the assistant moves my power wheelchair out of the way and turns it off. Then I swim, do ROM exercises, etc.

Meanwhile the assistant takes a large plastic trash bag out of my tote bag, puts it on the seat of the pwc, and places one of the towels over that. When I’m done with being in the water, the assistant moves the pwc back to the hydraulic chair and helps me transfer back to the pwc. The second towel is for drying off. I return to the dressing room and have the option to either go home with the swimsuit still on, or remove the swimsuit, put on the dry undies 😃 and finish dressing. A friend of mine who uses a pwc got our Y to purchase a Hoyer, and he brings his own sling, so this may be an option for me as well when I need it.

I shower at home. It’s an ordeal but it feels so good to be in the water. Besides my CALS, I have two good friends who take turns being my assistant. Our Y can let a care provider accompany people in the pool without having to pay for an additional membership. I’ll keep doing it while I still can.

I was in our pool today for 30 minutes. The water temperature was 87. I suspect it will be higher tomorrow as we had a very sunny day. I have to watch out that I don't overuse my muscles or twist my body because it causes pain. For me the psychological lift being in the pool/sun offers is wonderful. I always come in feeling better. Our pool doesn't have a lift but the condo act in FL must allow one if it is paid for. Fred thinks he can carry me down the stairs (he was a former life guard) and lower me into the water. We do have PWC ramps from my door into the pool area so that's a plus.

I would recommend get as much swimming/floating/sun in as you can for as long as you can.

Beautiful pool!
You still have a pretty good frog kick!

Beautiful pool!
You still have a pretty good frog kick!

yup - i was a very good swimmer. water is my element, only place where i feel truly alive and whole. try to preserve at least my legs as long as possible. even breathing is easier in water. but i accept that all will go. enjoying while i can.
hubby hates water but he comes with me.

Awesome pictures Bodhi!

We are finally getting some decent weather here so I am enjoying the sun. The pool isn’t open yet and will be too chilly probably but still looking forward to sitting by it I can pretend I am at a resort. Just need waitstaff with umbrella drinks! 😀

Love the pictures! I had a fall which ruined our pool plans as I've been to tired the last few days recovering. Split my chin open over a newly healed spot where I had split it in a previous fall. Pretty sure I fractured the bone in the first fall and doctor agreed but we skipped xray because there's nothing they can do for it anyway. Now Im scared of what my chin bone will be when this one heals. Why am I always falling on my chin? what a weird place the land! ugh sorry for the downer post

Sorry to hear this Kristina. My first fall was also a face plant, splitting open my chin and requiring sutures. It really sucks! Falling on face has to do with which muscles are weak and unable to support us. And we can’t break our falls, so down we go, and fast.

I hope you recover soon.

Thanks Karen. I fell on Tuesday and I am finally feeling more back to myself now. Hoping for no more face plants. Need to be more strict about using the walker at home.

Sorry, Kristina.

My only face plant was when I was running in 2013. It knocked me out. Less than a year later I got symptoms. I think the fall triggered ALS.

Sorry, Kristina. hope you don't have too much pain and heal well.
my first fall was also flat on my face. at that time i could still walk without assistance.
i just stumbled over a small crack in the road and knocked out 3 teeth which required
unpleasant, expensive dental work.
these falls are a major shock for the whole body. even a friend who walked next to me and
could not catch me said she was shocked and trembling.
since then i became overly careful, now i do need a rollator or walker anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back