Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Birthplace of Aviation
Looking for any thoughts, recommendations, caveats about getting the right bed for the long periods of bed confinement ahead of me. My first interest is being able to turn/be turned because I'm unable to lay on my back (low FVC)...so my hips get very sore very quickly.

Being of the "Lady Biltmore" size I find the twin-size hospital bed to be frustrating as well as dangerous in trying to turn. Sides even restrict the bed further in turning.

And I have discarded the Sleep Comfort and Craftmatic beds because neither of these beds can be raised up or down for ease of transferring.

Found a company "Transfer Master" in Iowa that seems to offer size selection plus much more. Is anyone familiar with the company or has anyone heard of them?

Help me out. Thanks.

Annabelle

Hi Annabelle sorry you have to be here but hope we can be of some help. I don't know much about the bed issue but your low FVC and not being able to lie on your back could be helped with a Bipap machine. It is non invasive ventilation and sure works for me. I'm surprised your Pulmonologist hasn't recommended it. Or have you decided you did not want it? I have to be standing or sitting upright or forward to breathe without the Bipap so it's a lifesaver for me.

re bed

Hello Annabelle, I understand your desire to have a comfortable bed that will allow you to turn/be turned.
My sister has ALS and has been bedridden for about 7 months. She has a hospital bed (I know you had some issues with a hospital bed I put this info in only to let you know how it worked for Sis) with a Century air mattress.
The mattress has a alternating pressure setting as well as a float setting. We have discovered that she can stay in one position ALL night without being disturbed and we have no problem with skin breakdown.
Because the cells of the mattress inflate and deflate continuously there is no problem with pressure sores. When the bed is set in float position it cradles the body very gently.
The mattress also has an inflate setting that temporarily increases the pressure in the bed to make repositioning easier.
While the mattresses are very expensive they are worth their weight in gold. There may be an organization that could help with the cost
I hope this is of some help to you. Jane

Jane,
Is there a website you could give about the mattress you described? I think this would be helpful for my dad in the future. About how much did one of these mattresses cost? Dad gets out of bed every day, but once he is in bed for the night, he does not move much. He is in a hospital bed right now with an egg crate over the mattress. I think something a little more comfortable would be better for him and it sounds great that your sister doesn't have to be moved in the middle of the night to avoid bed sores. Any more infor would be great Jane.
Thanks,
Dana

Hi Jane. That sounds like a good product so if you have a website or dealer information I'd like to have it myself. Thanks. Al.

Thanks GranpAL,
I do use a bi-pap at night...when I can overcome the slow and stagnant airflow. This still would not help laying on the back as it is just not sufficient air. When I do use it, I sleep extra well and for a long period (once, nearly 7 hrs w/o waking)...it's great. So even it helps to overcome the sore hip pointers.
Thank you for sharing with me,
Annabelle

Jane,
I join all the others in wanting to know more information on the air mattress.
Thank you for sharing your information...it's hard to become expert in so many things facing one now and in the future.
Annabelle

Hi Annabelle again. My Bipap is a Respironics and my numbers are 18/6 and 18. From what I understand 18 is a rather high pressure and it will push enough air into me even lying on my back so that I can sleep. Now the last time (March) that I had a sleep study they told me to try to NOT to sleep on my back because my O2 level went down and CO2 up. On my sides it is fine. Does your machine have a humidifier and if so do you use boiled or steam distilled water in it? That can make a difference in the stale air problem. They recommended sewing a tennis ball into my pyjamas to stop me from rolling on my back. I told them I didn't wear pyjamas at home and asked if I could duct tape the ball there. I had sleep apnea before and never got used to the CPAP machine and had to resort to a dental appliance but had no problem with the Bipap once I got the right mask. Let me know how you are making out. AL.

Hello all--

My father uses an alternating pressure, low-air-loss mattress and he said it is much better than the eggcrate. There is a wide variety of brands, including some that turn the patient laterally, but I don't understand how that works. Hospice pays for the mattress, so if you are already in hospice, insist on one now. Otherwise, perhaps Medicare will pay for the rental of a mattress; don't know what they do in Canada, sorry!

Liz

Well some good things do come out of the Symposium. Quart Healthcare had a display of the low air loss mattress system. They really are neat. The brand is Dyna Lal and the company can be reached at 82 Carnforth Rd. Toronto M4A 2K7 1-800-267-2920 I talked with Sarah Quart and she told me a bit about the beds. I have a brochure if anyone wants me to try copying it and emailing let me know.

Possibly the company Quart Healthcare can provide a brochure or mfg name. thanks for the offer, AL. If this fails I'll be back to take you up on your offer.
Annabelle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back