PALS and Cholesterol Medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric also took Lipitor during the summer of 2006 and his symptoms increased within months of starting the medication. His ALS symptoms began sometime between 2000-2002, but were mild and tolerable. After being on Lipitor, it sped up his symptoms considerably. He was taken off Lipitor in early 2007 after seeing his first neurologist. The sad thing is... his cholesterol level was borderline, which diet and exercise would have probably lowered. He may still have been diagnosed with ALS, but maybe not until he was much older. I truly believe Lipitor was the culprit of speeding up his progression.

Thanks all, I think its time to stop taking it. Will double check with Docs. HUGS Lori

Yes, I was taking Lipitor when I started falling and losing my balance. I also had pain and stiffness in my hips and shoulders. I kept bringing that to my doctor's attention and she said all my bloodwork showed there was no damage from the Lipitor and not to worry. However I chose to stop taking it when I fell and broke my ankle in Oct 2008 and have noticed the pain and stiffness are gone but the ALS and muscle atrophy are in full swing. No scientific proof but I am convinced the Lipitor has played a significant role in this hideous disease coming to life in my body. Would have preferred a heart attack to this. Diane

I was taking lovastatin at the time I was diagnosed and had been on other statin drugs (including Lipitor) for about five years before that. I stopped taking them about three months after diagnosis when some of the early stories came out questioning whether or not statins caused ALS.

Interestingly enough, I never had muscle problems in my legs while taking statins like so many folks do. My muscle problems were very mild and occurred in my forearms and the muscles in and around my ribs. Guess where my ALS is most advanced? You guessed it -- arms and respiratory muscles. Three years post-diagnosis and had no real weakness in my legs until the past six months. Still able walk and stand up by myself, but it is beginning to progress in one leg, but there's no perceivable or clinical weakness in the other leg as of my ALS clinic visit this week.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Although my husband has not been DX, He has had NOTHING but trouble with his muscles, stiffness, weakness, fatigue, ect....

We have been running back & forth to Nueros for a diagnosis & no-one yet knows what it is!

He was on Crestor for a year (Problems started after 6 mo's) & he has stopped taking it 8 mo's ago and STILL has problems. The Cardiologist swears its nearly impossible for it to be Crestor related as he says, it would show on the B/W for muscle enzymes (CPK) & comes out of your system in 2 weeks.

I dont believe any of this! I believe something is brewing in his system from the Crestor, without a doubt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back