Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
I know in the past that I've seen a picture of someone who was able to pair a twin XL with a hospital bed. It LOOKED like a king.

So, the ALS Clinic sent over a hospital bed. I realize it's pure vanity, but dangit, I wanted our beds to LOOK like one bed. Forgive my ridiculousness, but there is no pairing this thing with DH's bed to have a shared headboard. It has a big plastic headboard and footboard that hide the mechanism that allows for lifting and lowering the bed. Now, my insurance would partially cover a hospital bed if I found one I liked, allowing this one to go back to the library.

I get that this is a 1 on the scale of importance, but I like my bedroom. I spend a fair bit of time in/out of there. I MISS a headboard - a real one where my pillow doesn't slip down and he doesn't get a headboard at all if his bed is next to mine. Is there a solution here?

I felt the same way when my PALS got a hospital bed. I actually obsessed about it. Yes, one a scale, this is a 1 of 10. After finding no solution, I surrendered. I took the king out and now we have a hospital bed and a double bed next to it. The only coordination is the sheets. I bought turquoise sheets and red sheets. The room has a bohemian look - a far cry from what it was before. Suggestion: buy full-sized sheets for hospital bed. As it turns out, as my PALS progressed, the equipment needed has increased. My tidy, calm bedroom is no longer tidy or calm, but it works and still looks like a bedroom and not a hospital room. Good luck. Leslie

❤️ That’s just lovely xx

Reactions: lgg
You can Google headboard brackets, adapters and connectors but as Leslie points out, care needs come first.

If you do end up with a headboard, it should be removable so as to allow for care from the head of your bed when you need it. You will also need room at the ends and sides for the bed to move, and room for a Hoyer lift perpendicular to the bed. I don't know what kind of bed you got, but headboards and footboards are not required.

The "mechanism" (if you mean the underside of the frame that goes up and down?) should be under the bed, so I'm not sure why it needs to be hidden. Larry's hospital bed did not have or need a headboard or footboard -- it was just an open frame so easy to make look less institutional with linens. We did use one side rail, mostly as a holder for the wired control.

I was able to remove the headboard and footboard from my husband's hospital bed. If you can do this, pay attention so you can restore them if you need them later (we ended up with a low air loss mattress that required the footboard for hanging the motor from.). I also mounted a simple headboard to the wall, so I could move my "side" of the bed away when we needed to provide care from that side. The look didn't bother me, but my husband insisted that I get a king headboard that matched our furniture when we switched from a queen to a split king (which was followed by a hospital bed on his side as things progressed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back