Diagnosis
07/2008
Country
CA
State
Ont.
City
Hamilton
I want to know if theres any way to take care of the pain?I hurt all the time also movement is another thing I cant even dry myself off its getting tiering can write my name im loseing hope very fast.This post is takeing me a long time because my hands do not work im near the end of my rope and dont know how much longer i can do this.

hello bossman

i am sorry to hear you are not doing so well.
i am guessing it is muscular pain you have from spasms and cramping.
have you tried baclofen?
this is very good at dealing with mnd pain and symptoms.
usual dose is worked up to 40-60mg a day,but more can be taken under supervision or if really severe a baclofen pump can be fitted.
amitriptyline is also beneficial as it helps with not only long term pain but depression.
if you are not on either then make an appointment with your gp for a perscription as soon as possible,they may take a short while to take effect.
i have been on both together and they work well.
i really hope everything calms down a bit and you feel a little better.
take good care.
caroline:neutral:

You might get your doctor to write you a prescription for Quinine, it works wonders and we can still get it in Canada, our US friends cannot get it anymore. Also, I use a program called Dasher to do my typing, it is free so you can do a search and download it.

bossman:

I'm sorry to hear you are in such pain. On these boards, you will find many people with ALS who are living productive lives. Here you will find great support and many useful suggestions. I will keep you in my prayers and ask that you keep me in yours.

I want to know if theres any way to take care of the pain?I hurt all the time also movement is another thing I cant even dry myself off its getting tiering can write my name im loseing hope very fast.This post is takeing me a long time because my hands do not work im near the end of my rope and dont know how much longer i can do this.

Someone suggested getting quinine pills, but I was told by one doctor that they had side effects, so I drink loads of Tonic Water..has to be the best...I find Schweppes is the best. I get lots of muscle pain and some cramp, but it has eased off a lot with drinking the tonic....It does take a lot of the pain away, but not all. I feel for you. Jennifer51

Hi bossman,
I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time. For what it's worth, my husband has found that Cymbalta has helped him with his pain as well as depression. It is hard for him to do things like dry off after a shower. His muscles are just so tired from the shower that there is just no energy left for the drying off. Do you have someone to help you with these things?

well I have tried baclofen but does not help could down the bottle but ha may kill me so not doing that.The other items I have not tried amitriptyline not sure have tried so many now.I need to get movement so I can do little things like dry myself.Im going to see the doc on friday so ill ask him what I can get this is the hardest thing I have ever done oh I do have dragon I can use to type.

hey bossman,

Hang in there until you see the doc on Friday. Have you tried using ice packs for the pain? Not something that will work forever, but might possibly give you some relief. My prayers are with you,
Keep the faith,
brenda

was told not to use ice packs at allI do try to strech but does very little.

ok, it was just a thought.
Like I said, hang on until Friday when you go see the doctor.
Mind over matter,

Keep the faith,
brenda

Well saw the doc an well he wants to fill me up with a few things now.He also told me this is moveing fast and im going down hill in a hurry.More or less he said may not have time to try a lot of things at this point.

Hi bossman, so sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with this monster disease. God, how I hate this damn disease! I lost my then 38 year old son to this damn disease last year on the 3rd of June. It still hurts deeply. I am so sorry you are having problems. It sounds like you are under a lot of stress (I am sorry......who wouldn't be?) I remember my son's doc used to tell him that stress will take you before Als will. I wish I could help you my friend, but I am totally out of words, because I am only a former Cals. May God bless you, and assist you through this dreadful journey.

Irma

bossman:

Only God knows how much time we have, doctors make mistakes all the time. Perhaps, you will reach a plateau with respect to your symptoms.

hey bossman,

The doctor does NOT live with you right? Only you can dig down deep inside and pull the fighter out of you! Don't live on what the doctor said, they don't know anymore than you or I know how much time we have left.

What you and I both know is that true strength comes from within and we are as happy as we want to be.

Please, please, please, reach down deep and find something you can build on that will help bring you some peace. I pray that God will help you in this difficult time.
Never give up,
Never let up,
Never lose faith,
brenda

Last edited:
well im up in Canada and on w.s.i.b right now and they have me in school.I cant walk and have taken time off work because I fell and hurt my ribs.Now as so as w.s.i.b finds out they will cut me off with nothing and they cut my payments back already so I dont have enough to pay my bills.I going to lose everything now so hope i dont have to much of that right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back