Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Hereford
City
Hereford
Please can I have some advice, my Lehigh muscles are very sore and aching a lot, they have been this way on and off for the last 8 weeks. My arms hurt when I pull/ push something and I have a stiffness in my baby finger on left hand, as well of course as the constant twitching. I have been diagnosed with bfs but I haven't had an emg as my DR doesn't think I need one. Any advice would be very great fully appreciated, thank you

Just realised I've typed leigh, I meant thigh

I'm not sure why you would think your sore muscles are caused from ALS. I don't think that sore muscles alone equal ALS. That's like having headaches and believing you have brain cancer.

Your doctor probably doesn't think you need an emg because you don't need one. BFS can cause muscle fatigue, stiffness, and a soreness in the muscles, so can anxiety.

Try some light massages, use vitamins and supplements, Icy Hot, warm baths, and mild exercise. Try to avoid stress and anxiety over this disease as it will just make all your symptoms worse.

BFS unfortunately does cause muscle pain, stiffness, and something labeled "exercise fatigue". I don't know of a single on label drug that helps, but some BFSers have gotten some relief from those backdoor antidepressants-as-pain-meds type things. (Think something like Cymbalta, though that's only one example.) Rather than pushing your doc for an EMG, maybe you should push for some symptomatic relief.

Thank you both for your replies, I think I'm at the point now where im might have to try the medication route, I've tried really hard not or but my twitching is out of control, I read a thread on here re muscle pain and that's what sparked my worries about my soreness.

Goolia 75 thanks for your reply, it's not just sore thighs, I'm twitching too xx

you need to read posts in perspective.

eg my PALS is barely mobile, has frozen shoulders, clawed hands, excessive muscle wastage and can barely get hand to mouth. He has PAIN because of the frozen shoulders and spasticity, he did NOT have pain in the early stages of the disease. PAIN is NOT a symptom of ALS, pain is a secondary result of what ALS is doing to the body in the more advanced stages.

I've had pain in my hips for more than 30 years, my PALS used to say it would really worry him if it were him ...

Thank you Tilly, I really appreciate your advise xx

I have alot of muscle pain, twitching, exercise/usage muscle weakness and even some atrophy and 2 neuros say I don't have ALS.

Someone posted a good link/article about it all under my questions in ALS vs Neck Injury. If you can find the link/article it will probably make you feel alot better. It did me.

Thanks xfile1966 but your profile says your in the process of being diagnosed with mnd? X

Actually, I'm a medical mystery right now. I have muscle weakness/atrophy/twitches but few, if any, upper neuron symptoms (my reflexes at my kness are slightly brisk). My EMGs have all been OK so neuro says not ALS. According to the article in my link if you have ALS your EMG is going to show it. I'm going to Emory (Atlanta) in February in hopes they can figure me out.

In the meantime I just deal with the symptoms as they come and go. I have good (stronger/less twitchy/no nap) days, and bad (weaker/twtiches head to toe/very fatigued) days. I have muscle pain regardless.

I'm so confused, some say twitching is a secondary symptom and comes after weakness etc and some websites say twitching is an eraly symptom of als, I have twitching and soreness, any ideas? Thanks, Amy x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back