Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
McEwensville
For those of you with a ROHO do you have issues with what I'd have to call hot pain? There are times when the back of my thighs just below my cheeks feel like they are on fire. If I stand up it goes away almost immediately but returns as soon as I sit back down. We've checked the inflation and it is good. I sit back fully in the seat. I'm at a loss.

I have the same burning feeling on my left shin. Sometimes when you touch it, its like being branded. Other times its no bother at all.

The most plausible theory that my GP and I can come up with is that as my butt loses muscle and "padding" , I am irritating/grinding/squishing the nerves that connect that area to my brain. I support that theory with a test of lying down, it will not burn when touched, and sitting back up burns to the touch.

If you lie down and touch that area, does it still burn? If so, you might be getting a bedsore and you should check with your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Glen

Last edited:
Nope it feels normal to the touch and there are no skin changes to signal a sore.

P.S. Typing 7 hours after Ambien = hard

Jeff, I had a similar problem with the back of both knees before my wheelchair days. Had to sit with my knees up during that time. It went away, but it sure did hurt while it lasted. It seems we can have nerve pain where our weight is touching anywhere, especially if it's an ongoing posture, with long term pressure. I also had nerve pain following numbness when I was still lying on my sides in bed.

Could something be placed under your feet to raise your knees, thus changing where you hit the ROHO?

Since you mention nerve pain that's what it reminds me of shingles. For relief I'll recline way back and have my wife put my feet on the calf pads.

Jeff, after posting and then re-reading your post it occurred to me that nerve pain IS "burning" pain. Oh, I am sorry you've had shingles. Horrible illness.

Could your wife try putting a phone book under your feet? It may be that's all it takes... in case you don't want to recline.

I had a very mild case with no lasting effects. There are two issues with the phone book idea. First that ends up putting more pressure on my sit bones which I need to avoid. I was thin to begin with and lost my butt early. Second I live in a town with a population of less than 400 so my phone book is more like a brochure ;)

Thankfully it has gone away so far today. Thanks for the ideas.

Jeff, I forgot about the sore butt issue. Got that one, too. When my knees had nerve pain I still had a butt and also walked around some. Congratulations on your population. 400 is good. One last idea, and then I'll leave you alone... how about adding a foam donut for just part of the day? For me, it changes pressure off the sit bones and (unfortunately) onto the tail bone... not a perfect solution but a change...and inexpensive. The blue covered ones at Amazon dot com.

Ann you are a sweet-heart, I can relate to this issue completely. I had to laugh at the phone book. My in-laws have a place in the Eagles Mere area. I know that is up your way.

Please, what is ROHO?:confused:

Why, Carol, I'll tell you what a roho is...

After some research so that I could give you as complete and accurate an answer as I possibly could, I found the following...

It is a cushion of soft, flexible air cells interconnected by small channels that allows air to flow from one cell to another at a controlled rate - in other words, a cushion that isn't foam or some such but air cells. It's like a cushion filled with little non-popping balloons. Helps allocate the pressure all over instead of in one specific spot.

I did the urban dictionary thing, and roho stands for behind. But not in a good way, as in a fart...I'm having some difficulty finding out exactly what roho stands for but I did want to answer you on the other.

ROHO is a manufacturer of all sorts of pads and cushions but are probably best known for their wheelchair cushions. Search the net for ROHO Quadtro Select and you'll see them. They are designed to help prevent pressure sores.

Hey Jeff, I get that burning pain too and best we can figure is my butt is so skinny that the skin folds over and pinches. Getting Lee to pull on thr skin helps. Cream helps too.

AL.

Do you mean normal moisturizing cream?

I use a prescription one on the butt as a barrier type cream. Vaseline Intensive care every where else.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back