Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
The experts and the different websites that we read will all tell us that the malfunctioning motor neurons and subsequent muscle wasting is not painful. And while technically this is true it is also misleading. As in my experience ALS is very painful.

Physically -

We go through excruciating muscle cramps in every imaginable part of the body. This morning I was awoken by my left forearm cramping so bad that it caused my fingers to curl and lock. While this is not the motor neurons dying or the muscles wasting away, it is caused by ALS. What little muscles I have left in my arm have to do extra work to just function during the day. That, with the work that the fasciculations constantly put on them, cause them to fatigue and cramp. The worst for me is when my neck and jaw cramp and lock up.

We go through extreme headaches. These headaches are most likely caused by CO2 building up in our blood as we sleep. This is caused by our breathing muscles not properly expelling carbon dioxide. Again it is not the motor neurons acting out or the muscles dying, but it is a direct result of these things happening that causes our diaphragm to no longer function, causing us to not properly remove the CO2 from our body, leading to incredible head aches.

We go through joint and complimentary muscle pain. As certain muscles die, it puts additional strain on our joints and other muscles. Last week the muscle on the top of my left foot was in extreme pain. This was caused by the other muscles around my foot weakening and being dead, putting more strain on the small muscle at the top of my foot. A muscle not meant to do the work that it now has to do. Again this is not pain from motor neurons dying, or muscles dying, but it is caused by those things happening leaving our bodies in a weakened state.

We go through coughing and joking fits. I do not know why our bodies secrete so much phlegm but they do. It is in some way a direct effect of this monster. It is painful in the cramps, the headaches, and the soar throats that it causes. Motor neuron or muscles dying may or may not be the cause but either way it is painful.

Mentally -

I cannot even begin to explore this. The anguish our minds go through and that of our loved ones is more sever than any pain that can be imagined. We waste away a little more each day and can do nothing to slow it or stop it. It is truly out of our control.

Conclusion -

There are of course Medications, the Bipap, Venting, Feeding Tubes and other things that can help manage all these pains. These are all viable options and good for some. For some of us though, we choose to live with the pain. For me the mental clarity is worth the pain. I also choose to "fight" this disease by letting it take its course. I will, by Gods Grace and Mercy, try to serve my family with any form of energy that I can muster. I will not let ALS take away my love for them by making me mean and bitter. The pain will not negatively effect who I am. I cannot stop ALS, but I can define who I am and what my actions will be. It is all that I have.

You are so right Pete. I never understood how that statement could be made myself. You remind me a lot of my dad. He too wanted mental clarity and tolerated what would be intolerable to me. He never complained which I found astounding and I can remember only two times that he said "it's hard."

You are amazing and I'm tearing up :`(

This is so true, Pete. I am in the medical field and was taught the same nonsense--that ALS is not painful. I now know the true reality that I see every day in my husband.

Sharon

Star, I am honored by the comparison. Complaining does not yield changes and only discourages those you love. I fear that I may do it to often.

Well said Pete!! I'm sure your statement today will be an "aha" moment for many of us. I could not have said it better. That being said I hope today is a good one for you. Keep on!

Pete,

All I can say is, "PERFECT". You wrote that so well, and you must have been reading my mind.

Thank you so much for taking the time to clear this myth regarding pain and headaches for PALS.

Hugs,
Deb

AMEN........................ain't nuttin good about this crap!!!

Pain in ALS is a secondary symptom. It's related to or caused by primary symptoms such as cramping.

Pete, You posted something that needs to be included in my document. I was trying to get personal stories from various PALS. Some of them talked mostly about the pain and your post pretty much summed it up.

Thank you.

I certainly agree with how cramping causes pain, thank god only temporary while the cramp lingers, but what about spasticity? I know baclofen is used for spasticity, and how would people rate severity of pain caused by spasticity as compared to the pain of cramping? I have always wondered if spasticity actually triggers a cramping reaction to take place?

I've had the Charlie Horse cramps and I deal with spasticity in my back and legs. chronic spasticity leads to constant pain which snowballs into extreme muscle fatigue, at least for me. That pain is what led me to take Oxy. Constant, chronic pain causes depression and depression makes pain feel worse creating a horrible cycle of wanting to do nothing but sleep.

Thank you once again Pete. You always same something important when you talk to all of us. I read your post twice because I know what I am going through but want insight into what Steve and the PALS are going through. I am so sorry you have this terrible disease. Your family values and dedication to this forum is so amazing. I respect and understand your choices and it helps me to understand Steve's more. You are a great man Pete.

Pete,

You have eloquently stated what I know, but could not put into words.

Thank you very much.

Steve

Pete, your writing describes what we who are living with ALS know to be true. Thanks for putting it down in words.
I to don't take any drugs but do take tumuric for cramps and seems to help. Chally

Thanks for reminding me.....forgot to take my tumeric today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back