11/2015
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Lauderdale
Hi PALS,

My father is having hot flashes and is miserable. The over heating began around the beginning of the month. It lasted only 20 minutes to a half an hour but now it's lasting for hours and getting worse. He is only sleeping 2 hours a night.

I called his doctor who said that this over heating is caused by the muscle spasms. He is taking 20 mg baclofen every 8 hours and tizanadine 2 mg 3 times a day. The doctors only suggestion was to put him on hospice so they can administer pain medication to make him more comfortable. :\

Right now we're using a cold compress on his trunk area (mainly lower back and chest) which provides little relief. and giving him lots of ice water.

Desperately looking for suggestions on ways to help him.

There are gel-filled pillow toppers that feel cool to the touch and you could try higher-tech (freezable gel variants) versions of ice bags, alternating on and off. The smaller ones you can get in drug stores.

He has room to go up on the baclofen depending on the tizanidine dosage -- has been there mention of titration? Or the combination may be counterproductive for him. I would focus on the spasms themselves. A small benzo dose might help as well. During these "flashes," is he feverish and what happens with his pulse/oxygenation [you can see both with a pulse oximeter, also available in the drug store]?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back