Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
What is everyone doing about outside people who come in as carers or in-home visiting providers? We need my PCAs help, but im also wondering if it's worth the risk. And I have a lot of concern about my visiting nurse who is in and out of people's houses all day.

I don't have a choice since I live alone. I won't see the visiting nurse but my paid caregivers and my parents still come. That's a total of nine people. I'm nervous but trying to have faith and trust that they will make good decisions. And lots of handwashing.

So far, I still have my 2 PCAs, no visiting nurses. One of the PCAs has one other client, and I’m the sole client of the other. The rule we laid out is that if anyone feels ill, they don’t show up. I know my caregivers are being as careful as they can with social distancing. If anyone actually develops COVID, no blaming or finger pointing.

I realize there’s still risk as asymptomatic persons can transmit it, but the alternative would be for my CALS to do 100% of the care. And that would just break her. I also have decided that if I got sick with severe lung involvement, that I am not going to the hospital, that I would take morphine and Ativan and surrender to it. The big risk would be if my CALS got sick or died before me.

Such a hard call - handwashing is still proving to be the most effective, with limited sustained direct contact, and staying away if feeling at all unwell.

Karen is wise to think carefully of what her wishes are if she did develop symptoms. What a scary time.

Have everybody take their temp 2ce a day. Not remotely foolproof but not hard for people to do.

very difficult for everyone. Kristina do you need the nurse medically? Or do they have to come periodically to get the aides covered? Is there any wiggle room now with the relaxed regulations? Can they do a phone or video assessment? If they have to come can they not approach? If they are checking blood pressure or something can your husband take the reading in their ( distant) presence?

I have two caregivers who come in. I had to suspend one of them because her husband is a sanitation worker at a nearby hospital that has two cases of COVID-19. The other one won't come in if she's feeling the least bit unusual. My son has posted a sign on the porch warning people to stay away, and, if anyone must come in, use the hand sanitizer and/or disinfectant wipes provided. My son is picking up medications and groceries and trying to limit his trips. That's the best we can do. (I say I'm under house arrest.)

I'm doing my best to stay safe. I have pretty much been isolated from the outside for a couple years. Looking at the bright side, I am using non invasive ventilation with filtration 24/7 and I literally can't touch my face ! That just leaves me vulnerable when being fed or when washing my face. I figure it will be the end if I am unlucky enough to develop any kind of respiratory virus. I just pray that it's not my daughter that catches it and gives it to me. I'm sure it won't be a problem for her (11yro), but I would hate for her to have to live with any kind of guilt for it. Being as careful as we can to isolate her too...

Again, just a reminder that groceries, prepared food, and meds are available via delivery. I know that even here, the first state affected, social distancing and hand hygiene are not always being observed, so even if you are careful in and around stores, others can compromise your safety. So it's hard to hear of anyone who is, lives with or visits a PALS, venturing out unnecessarily.

I realize that some PALS wouldn't try to reach the other side, but it's no picnic for anyone, and a fifth of the cases who are hospitalized, many of whom were previously healthy, are 20-44.

Even if you're not in a "locked-down" area, there is no area to which the laws of viral transmission do not apply. We are all heading the same direction, without aggressive containment.

Please, everyone, consider this, and let us know if you need pointers to get what you need.

Best,
Laurie

I have three caregivers. They come from two different agencies and I’ve seen big differences in preparation and training between the agencies. They all say they have had clients canceling visitations because of fear of coronavirus. Two of my caregivers and even my husband were about a week slow to understand the importance of staying home and avoiding public places but last week they all started to be more careful. He’s as vulnerable as I am. I do have nurse home visits as they are needed. If I catch covid 19 I plan to stay at home. And am sure it will kill me. I’d rather that not happen of course but it’s also ok. It would probably affect my husband the same way. So I’m not worrying about what the stock market is doing to our nest egg. LOL. 🤪

My cousin, who is an EMT, made a video to show medical workers the proper way to put on and take off gloves between patients. I had a blood draw at the condo a couple of weeks ago and I had to ask her to first wash her hands with soap, I watched her put on the gloves, then she said she forgot the alcohol swabs. I had some on hand. After she left, I took lysol wipes and cleaned every inch of where she had been, took off my bandage and scrubbed down with H2O2 like I was going into surgery. Then I put a fresh bandage on my arm and washed my hands again.

I've been doing a load of clothes every day. We only wear things once, then in the wash they go. Today will be all bedding including dog's bed and we will give dog a bath. He uses pee pads so we can stay here for a month and not have to leave, if necessary.

I'm so glad I stockpiled drugs when I had the opportunity. Since this condo is large, I've always kept extra things on hand, especially drugs, including OTC. Our local drugstores are running out of Tylenol now and some generic prescriptions. I have an Rx for more meds but easily have enough now for six months. I have enough medical cannabis to open up a dispensary. People in the condo know my stocking habits and I've been hit up for CBD oil and TP already. I buy things in bulk when they are on sale.

Removing the gloves (and masks and gowns) is when many transfers of pathogens occurs ...

one of my HCAS came today in scrubs and is wearing a mask and gloves. I personally think they are worse, and washing hands is better but if that is what makes her comfortable than, it is what it is.
anyone elses caregivers wearing masks and gloves?
personally I find it anoying, the gloves get in the way, i think.

had to send another HCA home after finding out her ex husband was being tested, luckily my dad caught her before coming in the house.

its hard to know if I am doing enough, or too much. So much uncertainty right now.

our health department does not recommend gloves, gowns and masks for general prevention

handwashing is far more effective - the moment gloves contact surfaces, the HCA's face or anything contaminated they need to be safely removed and replaced. but once gloves go on people get this false sense of security and often are less hygienic. we tend to wash our hands more often, but gloves are often worn for hours on end.

the mask, well it's useless if it doesn't seal fully, and the worker is probably pretty uncomfortable but it won't make any difference to you.

My caregiver hinted to my PALS today that her husband said she would get more money from the government now if she stayed home than working for us. She didn't mention it to me. She is pregnant and was going to leave us anyway. If she leaves us I suppose I will try to do 100% of the care for now. These are hard times with no good choices.

That was pretty insensitive of her to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back