Not open for further replies.

myooshka

Country
CA
State
alberta
City
Sylvan Lake
Although I have no diagnosis of yet, but have muscle wasting I was curious about this contoversial link between ALS and physical activity. I had been out in my yard for a few week prior to illness building fence, landscaping,planting trees in the extreme heat, and then my illness came out like a freight train the cramping, twitching,stiff muscles,etc. I was reading there could be a possible link to ALS in younger people from hard physical exercise. So not to insult any of the more mature members, but did any of the younger people with ALS find exercise to be a trigger. Just curious, at times I find myself thinking of what caused this, although now it doesn't matter because I am ill, but I was just wondering if anyone found if they thought anything trigerred their illness.

The supposed link between exercise and ALS draws a parallel between athletes that have been athletes most of their lives and put their bodies under extreme stress. Working strenuously outdoors for a week or month or even 6 months - I don't believe would bring about a disease such as ALS. Could be wrong-I'm not a doc.

I noticed when I used to babysit and hold my grandson The next day I felt like I was lifting 100 pounds. My muscles were soooo sore,and at that time I had no weakness or atropy. Pat

i am not diagnosed, but if you read my thread...i've got something mimicking it pretty closely.....so..

I cannot stay inside, am an outside bugger....my neighbor friend even commented on how i'm was always working outside, working in the garden. I love to work in my garden, fish, ski, camp and hunt.

Of course, that has all slowed.

I have the same thing happen to me after hard physical activity... Right now i can work a regular job but three days into the week i can barely move..... But if i do yardwork i can barely move the rest of the day, also my muscles and limbs will shake real bad after heavy lifting.... It is embarassing, i will hold a phone and my hand and phone will shake uncontrollably, but it subsides with lots and lots of rest... When i was a kid i was real tough and could out run most boys... Although, i was not a heavy athlete or hardworker, now if working hard from childhood up was the cause of ALS my husband would have it, he works hard (manual labor) 24/7..... since he was a little kid... I think active people notice it more, because it hits them harder... Annmarie was a fitness instructor and used her muscles everyday, so when they started acting up she would notice it quicker than someone who rarely excersized and used those muscles.

Yes, as Annmarie said, I was a fitness instructor too. I would work full time at the hospital and then part time at the gym as a trainer, working out everyday. Looking back though, I never felt like I reached levels I wanted to. I always have felt as if I wasn't as strong as I should be, never in really good shape and never able to keep up with others. Makes me wonder.

I also have the problem many of you mention. After exercise I am so sore and fatigued for a week. I am doing aqua therapy now and the day of the water exercise I feel charged, but the next two days I am exhausted and sore. My hand shook terribly at the beginning of the summer after I held the hose for a short time. It took about half an hour to stop. Little things like this are very noticeable to me. Maybe others blow it off, not thinking anything of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back