Out of breath while speaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the highest % FVC is that you can get? It sounds like a stupid question but I thought some where on here I read it was 128% not 100% like I would have thought.

That's a VERY GOOD question!

I don't know about that question but can answer the one before it. My lung capacity is 98%. But my ability to get air out of my lungs is at something around 60% sitting and less lying down. (This is according to my memory. Don't quote me, folks. I don't have the results in front of me.)

I think the diaphragm needs to work both in and out. Plus the chest muscles might be weak, too.

I'm not sure what is the highest but it can be more than 100%. They measure your FVC and give you your value for a sample group of the same age and weight as you. You can be more or less than " average ".
AL.

The FVC value can be above 100%.

Your FVC is compared to what the FVC of an average person of your height, weight and sex would be = predicted FVC. That's why they need your height, weight and sex (and maybe age?).

If your capacity is higher than the average, then it's more than 100%

We were at clinic today in Charlottesville and the pulmonologist explained that FVC can be >100% because it is based on height and the ratio between leg length and torso length varies alot among different people. She said take some people who are 5' 10", for example. Some are going to have longer legs and shorter torsos or vice versa. The lung capacity is therefore going to vary among them even though they are the same height. Another factor is the girth of the torso. She said that a better measure than foot to top of head height is to have people sitting and just measure from the seat to the top of the head.
My husband's FVC in April was 112% and is now 80%. I don't know what the highest FVC would/could be.
Jane

Had a doctor's appointment yesterday, while there they did the lung capacity test. My best score was 95% so the problem is not with my diaphragm! That's good news, but I still wonder why I need to take that mid-sentence breath...
The way it was explained to me...from the speech therapist...is that due to the muscle weakness in the soft palate, when we talk, air now leaks out of the nose, which it would not have done pre als..so you cannot get as much speach out of a breath as we used to, plus with muscle weakness in the chest you are not getting as much air in as well...so either or both of these issues cause breathlessness when talking.
I have bulbar onset...sometimes I am more breathless than others...I thinks sometimes it is also due to stress, which makes me worse.
jennifer51

That makes sense, my soft palate is getting weaker, my voice gets nasal after drinking a cold drink. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back