Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
Claremont
I've been noticing that often when I am speaking with someone I will need to stop mid-sentence to take a breath before finishing. Is this a sign of diminishing lung capacity and is this common with PALS?

Yes. Maybe it is time to get a pulmonary function test. (Sorry.)

What's a PFT? I've taken the lung test where you blow into a tube and they calculate the percentage, I was 80%, 83%, and 90% 6 weeks ago...

Sorry to say PDaddy but when the diaphram gets weak we get out of breath mid sentence. It's a normal so to speak, no pun intended part of ALS. I've just started doing it in the last few weeks. My last FVC was 56% 3 months ago. We're all different. Could be the size of the diaphram that makes a difference. Any thoughts Wright?
AL.

PDaddy - I'm having the same problem and was given an Rx for a bipap machine last clinic appt. I had gone from FVC of 87 in March to 54 in June. Bummer. I also do this weird gasping thing unexpectedly. I'd get an FVC test to make sure your number haven't dropped too much.

Sharonca

This really sucks, I used to play trumpet and I played waterpolo in college, so my lungs USED TO work really well. I could do 2 laps underwater! Blah.........

Out of Breath

PDaddy:
I have the same problem. When I speak, I have to take a breath during a sentence. I also get out of breath when I first lay down in the bed but it passes shortly. I believe this is just a part of ALS. I am on a BiPap but this still happens. By the way, the breathing excercises that I do has increased my lung capicity 13% in the last nine months, but I still have this problem. I have a Clinic appt. next Wednesday and will find out if the capacity is still on the increase or not.
Gordon

PDaddy:
I have the same problem. When I speak, I have to take a breath during a sentence. I also get out of breath when I first lay down in the bed but it passes shortly. I believe this is just a part of ALS. I am on a BiPap but this still happens. By the way, the breathing excercises that I do has increased my lung capicity 13% in the last nine months, but I still have this problem. I have a Clinic appt. next Wednesday and will find out if the capacity is still on the increase or not.
Gordon

What is the excercises you do? Pat 1

Good question Pat1, I was only given exercises for my legs. What do you recommend?

Pat2[/QU
yOU SAID YOU DO EXERCISERS THAT INCREASED YOU LUNG WHAT ARE THEY?

pAT1

my reply was wrong, never mind.

I was told to do "Breath Stacking". You take a breath, hold it, take another, hold it, take another, hold it and then let it all out.

Sharonca

My husand had these problems and I am sorry for those of you who do. When he began using the B Pap all night it helped a lot. I don't know if this will help anyone but hopefully it will.

Lung Exercise

Pat1:
The respiratory therapist at the ALS Cinic that I go to showed me a couple excercises to use. One is to breathe in as deep as possible using the belly muscles and then transfer it up to the lungs and hold for about four seconds. Then blow out through pursed lips, making sure that you exhale for more seconds than you inhale.

With her blessing I also started using a product called "Ultrabreathe" Respiratory Trainer. This is what helps me more than anything. I use it off and on all day.
Gordon

Had a doctor's appointment yesterday, while there they did the lung capacity test. My best score was 95% so the problem is not with my diaphragm! That's good news, but I still wonder why I need to take that mid-sentence breath...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back