Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
We are in san antonio, Texas for the thanksgiving holidays. My wife went out to eat late this evening with our great niece. While they were eating, our wheelchair van was stolen. Unfortunately, my permobil f5 wheelchair was in the van!

I feel like a beached whale right now. I can walk a few steps from chair to chair, but that is about it. We have contacted our insurance company, who have not been optimistic at all about getting at least a temporary wheelchair and some form of transportation. We have no idea how we will get me home:(. I like texas, but...

There was a lot of other stuff in the van, including medical equipment. We are sorting out what we need to do over the next few days.

I think the next few days are going to be exciting!

I'm so sorry to hear about this... I don't understand people.
I'll be praying for quick resolution, no red tape with insurance and most of all, peace for you and your family!!
🙏

Oh Steve that is so horrible. I am very very sorry. Karma will eventually get them but that doesn’t help you. Try the ALSA to see if they have any equipment they can lend you

Horrible..... I am so sorry this happened to you.

Oh, Steve, I am so sorry to hear this! What is this world coming to??? I hope you get a quick and satisfactory solution.

Sharon

OMG. How horrible! What were they thinking? How do people who do things like this live with themselves?

Hope you can get some help with equipment. I'll be praying that whoever did this has a change of heart and just leaves the van and equipment somewhere it can be recovered.

Call the police every day and see if your van has been recovered, often they recover vehicles but the owner is not notified for weeks.my sons truck was stolen in the summer, police found it put he was not notified for two weeks.

That’s horrible. I’m so sorry! Fingers crossed it’s just a minor inconvenience and the thieves get busted big time.

I am b. S. That this happened to you! I'm so sorry. I wish I could send my van to you.

That is beyond awful, Steve. I would call your Numotion at home -- they are nationwide and have a branch in SA. You could also call the branch there directly but an internal referral would likely have more weight.

Oh Steve how devastating! I hope the local ALS Association, insurance company, police, and local news agencies are able to help you out!
My prayers for a swift resolution. I wish I were in the area to help out.

Steve, I'm so sorry this happened to you on your special visit. I'm praying that they will recover your van.

Thank you far all your concerns, compassion, and suggestions.

It has been a long day, but we have made some progress.

The ALS Association has provided a wheelchair for me to use for the next week. They delivered it to my sister's house and will pick it up at the end of our trip. It is not a perfect fit, but I think it will be OK for the next week of use.

Insurance paid for and arranged a rental car (not a wheelchair van). They picked up my wife at my sister's house, so that was pretty easy. I will ride home in the front seat of that vehicle. Once we get home, I will be in pretty good shape. I have backup wheelchairs and there is good wheelchair transportation in my town.

I have a series of doctor's appointments in Denver that need to be accomplished before the end of the year for both health and insurance reasons. We have not yet figured out how to get me to Denver, but have some ideas.

Insurance has agreed to pay for the contents of the car, based on my proof of ownership of those items. I don't have much proof with me, but should be able to round up the information when we get home.

The wheelchair van itself is the big issue. Insurance will not declare it a loss until a certain amount of time has passed (they have said both 15 and 20 days, but my impression is that it is an indefinite period).

We will not practically be able to start procuring a replacement van until after the insurance company declares the vehicle as unrecoverable.

It is going to be interesting to coordinate all of this!

Meanwhile, we have started compiling lists of all the things that were in the van. Wow, it is an amazingly long list!

Steve

How totally awful, Steve. I am so sorry that your Thanksgiving holiday took such a nasty turn. Obviously the people or person who took the van knew exactly what they were taking and the high value of such a vehicle. Dirty buggers.

I hope for a quick resolution for you.

no comment. you should have left your als in a van, so if he stole car, he got als for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back