Our wheelchair van was stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't hate anyone with the intensity it would take for me to wish this on.

What a crazy story, Steve!!

I'm sorry this happened to you and just wowed by social media leading to the discovery of your van.

wow Steve just read everything up to here in one go - what a story!
I love facebook, the power of connections is awesome.
I hope you get a brand new chair, it's just not worth the time it would take to be sure that one is completely reliable again as you say.

Thanks to everyone for your concerns on this. It was sure a surprising turn of events. I want to reassure everyone that we had an absolutely wonderful Thanksgiving trip in spite of this.

We were able to take the wheelchair to NuMotion in Denver yesterday. They did a preliminary assessment and said that the wheelchair will need substantial and expensive repairs. We don't yet know how much it will cost to repair vs how much it will cost to replace. We will hopefully get more details on that next week so we can work with the Insurance company to know which way they will go.

The lead technician did the preliminary evaluation of the chair. He has worked on my chairs for several years and he is both very good and extremely caring. I am glad he was available!

After his initial evaluation, he suggested that it will probably be more cost effective to replace the chair than to repair it.

He found that both motors need to be replaced, the chassis appears to be twisted, the rear caster arms are bent, the right drive wheel is tilted in at the top and out at the front. Both drive wheels are damaged and need to be replaced. The seat elevate mechanism is damaged and needs to be replaced. The seat recline mechanism is damaged and likely needs to be replaced. The electronics are misbehaving, but it will take more investigation to sort this out. The RoHo seat cushion apparently has a leak. I am leaving a few things out, but you get the idea. From about 20 feet away, the chair looks OK. Up close, not so much!

We left the PWC at NuMotion and the technician will do a more thorough teardown next week.

Steve

What an ordeal! I sure hope everything else in this crazy situation goes your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back