Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
Utah
City
Hurricane
I love the people that complain to me about their colds,flu arthritis and other ailments. They come to me for advice because of my medical training. I'm just to exhausted to do it anymore, so now I just ask, wanna trade?

Snaps them back to reality real quick!;)

Been crippled with pain for 13+years with spasticity but its very rare if i ever complain to anyone,however you get people who complain all the time about every ache and pain........it does eventually grate on you.

Some years ago i had to go to town,not walked far but crippled.........along comes someone i know,they dont say hello or how are you but straight away goes on a tirade of moaning that there in pain from walking.
This person is obese that is why they have trouble walking,sorry but i have no simpathy for people who inflict illness ect on themselves.
I just simply said "tell me about it,i've been crippled for years and its not my fault" and just walked off.
Then last year the same thing happened with a neighbour,i just smiled and walked off.
Some people are selfish and don't understand real suffering,you have to feel sorry for them.
Maybe a bit harsh but i have never greeted anyone like they did me.

nobody likes to listen to me droning on about my medical probs...there eyes glaze over ........thats the first thing i learnt......but its just as good to listen as talk, maybe more so.......because after all, thats what we want them to do.....johnny

My father used to go on and on about all his ailments. (Of course they all were from his WWII injuries!)

So once when he was renewing his driver's license, they listened to him go on and on... and refused to let him renew it until he got a doctor's note.
He was ranting about it when my brother said "hey Dad, at least they believed you!"

LOL Helen, that's too funny!

I don't know...I've always been happy to listen to anyone that needed to talk about how they were feeling physically. One of the worst feelings in the world is feeling like there is no one to listen.

Olly--it's not always safe to assume being overweight is self-inflicted. There are several medical conditions that tend to aid in causing obesity.

One of the leading causes of obesity in the US, though, if you ask me, is poverty. It's much, much less expensive to eat 'fattening' foods than it is to eat 'healthy' foods. Top Ramen Noodles are 400+ calories--but 6 bags are a dollar. So, for two people, that's 3 meals.

There's very often more than simple sitting and eating non-stop that causes people to eat too much :) Depression is another huge reason many people are overweight.

This coming from someone that fought to keep weight off their entire life--and am just now, finally, not considered obese anymore. I can assure you---I've never been a huge eater. But, I've been a 'cheap' eater.

Sorry--that just hit a nerve. If I'd still weighed 200 pounds, I probably wouldn't have commented at all :)

My daughter lives with me. We eat essentially the same foods...have for years, because I've done the cooking. She doesn't gain an ounce no matter what she eats--I gain just looking at food. Metabolism, general health, absorption--lots of things play into weight. If I eat over 800 calories a day, I gain weight. If my daughter at that few calories, she'd be skin and bones. I eat 600-800 calories a day, and have for the last 4-5 months to lose 50 pounds. But, if I ate a normal diet of 1200 calories a day, I'd put every bit back on within a year.

I went to Spark People (a weight loss site) and spent the first few weeks trying their 1200 calories a day minimum--and lost nothing. Went down to the 800 I'd done years ago to lose weight, and it finally worked. I'm wearing a size 10 now, from a size 20 6 months ago.

Ok, off my soapbox!

Good for you notme. Not everyone fits in one particular box or catagory.

Everyone has the need ot vent or ask dumb questions. I get really upset when strangers come up to me ask why I need a cane (I am 52). They ask if I had a hip or knee replaced or toe surgery. I am always very nice about it and tell them its a muscle disorder and they look at me like I am crazy.

I don't know I guess I don't look sick so they think my answer is wrong. Then they want to know all about it. that I don't go into. I don't think its their business. Maybe I'm wrong but thats how I feel.

So sorry if my post offended you,i was not singling the person out for being obese but rather there selfcentredness and known to many to be a moaner.
Its great that you lost weight but some wont help themselves.
If some with neurological mobility problems were told if you lost weight you would get better they would jump at the chance.....i would!
I had an aunt who died of obesety,she died of heart failure right infront of her young grandson so i know how devestating the complications of obesety are..

Very true, Olly. I never got over 205 in my life--but I hit that mark several times.

I was told for years (when I was 150) that my ankles would stop spraining if I lost weight--which I thought was absurd, because 150 just isn't that big in my book.

Viki, I get the looks for the cane-- and the scooter and the handicapped license plates.

My biggest complaint is people that park in handicapped spots and get out with their 20 year old healthy bodies! I think we'd all agree those (without the placard) should get tickets with huge fines! (And have to spend a month unable to be as mobile as they are) Aren't I mean? <insert evil grin>

I have days I can do fine with walking, and days where I just can't. I went out Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve. I parked a mile away because all the handicapped spots were taken (and not ONE tag or placard) spent an hour walking in the flea market--and spent Christmas and yesterday in bed hurting too bad to move.

But on the main topic--I will always listen to anyone that needs an ear :) Been alone too long with no one to talk to -- to be any different.

I am having a rare day where I am all alone in the house. I love it. I can have a pity party and shed some of the tears that have been held for too long.

No one hovering over me asking if I feel okay and is there anything they can do. I can feel sorry for myself without feeling guilty or worrying anyone. I can go through the house and vent, slam doors and scream if I want to.

Its a release from having to smile everyday and be strong for my family. I get so tired and frustrated of the pretending and hiding my fears and feelings. Being brave for the sake of my family takes a toll, so a rare day like this is good for the soul.

Let it all out and dry up the tears, paint on the smile before everyone gets home WHEW!

Its hard, I don't know how you all do it. I love coming to this forum and reading all the well wishes and love, even the rants and sorrow, it makes me feel like I am not alone . I may not have als but its still a trial we are all put through.

I offer a heart felt thank you to everyone here for letting me be here. I feel better now.

It's good to vent and cry and through a fit when you don't have anyone there to get in the way of your misery. We all need it sometimes. Good for you. Hang in there. sherry

Oh Vicki

You and I had the exact same kind of day... And you voiced my exact feelings. Must be the weather? I am usually pretty good at keeping things on an even keel, especially for my family... But not today!

Onwards & upwards...

Oh well I feel better, always a good cry then a cup of tea. I hope you feel better too Elaine. Hope the weather changes for the better soon.
(((hugs))).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back